Style > Fashion

Winter Outfit Ideas, Curated by an Aritzia Style Advisor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The seasons change, the weather becomes a little more chilly, and everyone discovers that some alterations need to be made to one’s outfit choices. As someone who works at Aritzia–an upscale women’s retail store from Canada–as a seasonal associate selling to and styling clients that come into the store, I know better than anyone the necessity of these alterations. 

Although Aritzia’s merchandise can be rather expensive at times, there are still plenty of great alternatives that can be found in thrift stores or even your mother’s closet; I just like to treat Aritzia like a real-life Pinterest board for outfit ideas. The first most important thing to do is begin a capsule closet. A capsule closet, or wardrobe, is a “limited selection of interchangeable clothing pieces that complement each other”—Sustainably Chic. Having a capsule closet is not only good for the environment but also good for your wallet! The first thing to establish in a capsule closet is your color pallet. My personal color pallet is white, black and shades of brown, which means that I only purchase pieces that are within my pallet. The next thing to keep in mind are essential clothing items to have in your closet. This would include tops (tanks, blouses, etc), pants (trousers, jeans, shorts, etc), jackets (blazers, zip-ups, etc), skirts (mini, midi, etc), sweaters and even a few statement pieces are allowed. Once your journey to building a capsule closet has begun, you’re ready to begin styling outfits for the winter season.

Most of the following outfits will be based on my own color pallet and style, but all of these pieces are essential items that can be mixed and matched to fit anyone’s personal style!

Outfit #1 – leather blazer, tank top, mini skirt

This outfit is one of my go-to going out outfits, whether that be to a dressy party or on a date. Almost any tank top can be matched with a simple mini skirt and layered with a leather blazer to create a rather sophisticated yet liberated look. If it’s an extra chilly night, add an extra layer of black tights and some leather knee-high boots to conserve heat while still looking hot yourself.

Outfit #2 – turtleneck and trousers

If you need a versatile outfit that can be dressed up or toned down, this is the outfit for you. A solid pair of neutral-colored trousers is not only an essential item but can also be paired with just about anything, especially a turtleneck for a chilly day at a coffee shop or your favorite brunch spot. If you want to dress it up, pair this outfit with some low-heeled sandals, or a pair of converse for a more casual look.

Outfit #3 – sweats, hoodie, puffer vest

If your go-to look for this winter is loungewear, then this is the outfit for you. I absolutely love a good pair of straight-legged sweats, especially since the cut of these sweats is incredibly flattering on almost any body type. Layer this outfit with any t-shirt or tank, a simple hoodie, and a trendy puffer vest in order to keep your core warm. Match it with some sneakers for a solid streetwear look; I aspire to pair this fit with some mochas.

As long as you have a few essential items in your wardrobe and a little bit of inspiration, coming up with outfits for this season can be especially easy. Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean you can’t dress cute.

Carisa Joyner

Cal Poly '25

Carisa is a first year English major. She wrote for her high school's online newspaper, the Veritas Shield, about politics, relationships, campus news, etc and worked as the Social Media Editor her Senior year. In her free time, Carisa enjoys going on little adventures with her friends, and sharing photos from her life on VSCO.