body images 2017 06 27 hairpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2017 06 27 hairpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Why You Should Ditch Your Flat Iron

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Up until my freshman year of highschool, I had thick and luscious locks. My hair was down to my hips and I had so much of it that I swear it made up about half my body weight. But, it was infuriatingly unruly and poofy. I’d do my hair in the morning and about a hundred flyaways would sprout out in every direction. This was around the time that I decided to start straightening my hair. My hair was no longer frizzy and untameable; it was smooth and it even felt softer. I loved it. I was in a committed relationship with my flat iron for about two years. 

I remember getting out of the shower one day as a junior in highschool and not having time to straighten my hair before a party since it was still soaking wet and I usually didn’t blowdry it. I decided to just leave it in its natural state. As I drove to my destination, I looked in the rearview mirror and realized that my hair looked like absolute sh*t. It was frizzy, brittle, and the texture was totally uneven. My beloved flat iron had betrayed me and ruined my hair. When I got home that night, I did several hours worth of research on how to revive my damaged hair and decided to quit my flat-ironing habit cold-turkey. 

According to Dr. Jessica Krant, founder of Art of Dermatology, hair strands are composed of two layers: the inner core and the outer coating. The inner core is mainly hollow and filled with both water and air while the outer coating is smooth and gives hair that healthy shiny look. Excessive use of heating tools damages both of these layers which is what leaves damaged hair looking dull and frayed. Because heat basically kills hair strands, there’s often no way to revive those same strands.

I’ll be honest, my hair was definitely at rock-bottom for months after I stopped using my flat iron. Not only was it damaged, it was significantly thinner as well. It also wasn’t as straight as it was when I was younger. The texture had become a mix between some straight chunks with uneven waves mixed in. I’m pretty sure I cried at least once a week after realizing that my once healthy mane was nowhere to be found. If you’re currently looking in the mirror realizing that your hair has transformed for the worst and you think it’s because of your flat iron, don’t panic. There are definitely steps you can take to reclaim your hair. 

When I started my healthy hair journey and kicked my flat iron to the curb, I changed my routine completely. First, I switched to sulfate and paraben-free shampoo and conditioner. Because sulfates and parabens are known to strip hair of its natural oils, it’s probably best to drop products with these ingredients altogether. You can click here to read more about other ingredients that may be hurting your hair health. 

I also started incorporating argan oil into my post-shower hair routine. My personal favorite is the OGX Renewing + Argan Oil; I use about two drops of this after I wash my hair (usually every two days). According to Healthline, Argan oil is full of powerful antioxidants and vitamin E which can improve scalp health and give your hair a strong dose of moisturization. 

Lastly, I chopped my hair. For reference, my hair was down to my hips and after the monumental cut, it ended up right above my shoulders. This was probably the most effective change because I ended up cutting off all of the damaged strands of hair which gave me a clean slate to start anew with my hair. Though this may not be the right move for everyone, it is something to consider depending on the damage to your hair. You may even find that you actually prefer short hair like I did!

The journey to healthy hair was undoubtedly a long one. It took about a year for my hair to make a noticeable comeback but I could not be happier. My hair no longer has that inbetween texture; it is back to its natural straight texture and most importantly, it dries that way! I don’t have an issue with tangles due to split ends anymore and my strands are back to being soft. I’ve even noticed that my hair has started growing back thicker. While I recognize that my hair probably won’t ever look exactly like it did pre-straightener, I’ve finally achieved healthy hair again. Trust me, if you’re dealing with intense heat damage, you won’t regret ditching your flat iron, or at least changing your hair care habits.

Alex Perez

Cal Poly '24

I'm Alex and I'm a first year English major. I hope to pursue a career in law while continuing to write for an online publication. When I'm not in class or writing, I like to spend my time running, hiking, and painting. My formula for happiness is takeout Thai food plus Sex and the City!