Wellness

Why you Need to Switch to the Diva Cup ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Whenever my time of the month came around, I would complain to my friends about how much I hate buying and using tampons. My main issues were that I never seemed to have one at the right place or time, I felt like I was constantly changing them and I couldn’t sleep with them. 

I had heard people rave about the Diva Cup and I always talked about trying it, but I was always nervous and never went through with it. This month I finally tried it and let me tell you, it was LIFE CHANGING. 

I’m not going to lie to you, at first I was a little nervous. I wasn’t sure if I was going to insert it right or if it was going to work, but just like anything, it takes a little practice. The beautifully packaged cup comes with a little book with all the instructions you need to properly insert and remove the cup. Before trying it, I read over the book a few times until I felt more comfortable and then when I was actually inserting it, I used the videos on the Diva Cup website. These were super helpful and they walk you through the process step by step. It’s also super easy to clean and you can get cleaner made by Diva Cup, DivaWash or just boil it in some hot water before or after your period.

By the end of my week-long period, I had it down and I even made a TikTok with my Diva Cup. Once I got past the insertion and removal of the cup, I was able to see all the benefits. And it is so worth it. 

Here are five reasons you need to switch to the Diva Cup now!

It lasts 12 or more hours (depending on your flow)

Need I say more. During this week I was able to empty it out in the morning and leave it in all day through class and work, and even my workout. This cup is perfect for your busy lifestyle and you won’t have to stress about changing it throughout the day like you would a tampon.

You can’t even feel it

Once you get the inserting down, you can’t even feel the cup. Literally, on day three of my period, I forgot it was there and just went about my day (until the cramps hit).

You can wear it overnight

My least favorite thing about tampons is that you can’t wear them overnight and I would have to change into a pad. With the Diva Cup, you can just sleep in the cup without any leakage.

You save so much money

Just think about how many boxes of pads and tampons you buy. Now you only need one cup, PER YEAR! Take that money you saved and do some much needed shopping.

You are sustainable AF

You are reducing and reusing baby! The amount of waste produced from pads and tampons is extremely high and the more people we get using the Diva Cup, we can slowly reduce that number. So get a Diva Cup for yourselves and all your friends.

This product is amazing and I’m so excited to never buy a pad or tampon again. It takes a little getting used to, but is so worth it. Ladies ditch your tampons and get a Diva Cup, you can thank me later.

Lauryn Luescher

Cal Poly '22

Lauryn is a third year student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, majoring in Journalism and concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in marketing and ethnic studies. She loves going to the beach, hammocking, writing and exploring San Luis Obispo. This year Lauryn is the Senior Editor for Her Campus Cal Poly and spends her free time writing and editing. Lauryn also works with New Student and Transition Programs at Cal Poly and loves orienting new students to college. After college, Lauryn hopes to work for a PR agency or do PR for a food company.
Hi I'm Lauren! I am the Campus Correspondent at Cal Poly, SLO. I am studying journalism and hope to have a career in TV broadcasting. When I'm not running around campus with a camera interviewing people, you can find me watching makeup tutorials on Youtube. I LOVE anything beauty or skincare related and I'm always looking for new makeup products! Follow me to see makeup looks, sunset pictures in SLO and all my friends! (Oh and I have some funny tweets too!)