Why I’m Here for This Year’s SI Swimsuit Issue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Let’s face it: the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition is more about the models than the swimsuits. Many of the pictures don’t even feature swimsuits; this year, rookie Hunter McGrady wore nothing but paint. For decades, SI has been portraying a specific image of physical beauty, one that’s highly unrealistic. The images of beautiful professional models lounging in exotic locations can make it hard for the rest of us to feel confident about our bodies. This year was different because the SI Swimsuit issue was all about body positivity.

Hunter McGrady, the woman who rocked a painted on suit? She’s been called the curviest model ever featured in Sports Illustrated. She and the rest of this year’s cohort are making huge strides towards celebrating every type of body. The magazine included women from 18 to 63 years old, from four-foot-nine to six-foot-two, and size 2 to size 16.  

It showcased superstar athletes Aly Raisman, Simone Biles, and Serena Williams showing off their strength:

The theme came from editor MJ Day, who says she’s always struggled to feel comfortable with her own body. “We need to love ourselves in the present. No matter what,” Day said.

Were there problems with this year’s issue? Of course. It featured Kate Upton on all three covers, instead of showcasing diverse talent. Images were clearly retouched. But the models are using their platform to speak out about their own body image issues and to encourage women everywhere to be confident with who they are right now. That’s a message I can stand behind.

Lexi is a fourth year Sociology major and Ethnic Studies minor at Cal Poly SLO. She is a big fan of frequent flier miles, hiking, black tea, and Giants baseball. She is also proud to be a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus.