Why Cal Poly Doesn’t Do Midnight Snacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Have you ever found yourself laying in bed Saturday night after a few hours of Netflix when suddenly your stomach gurgles in hunger. You’re starving; you realized you forgot to pick up food for dinner. You check the fridge – just your luck it’s empty. Okay, it’s totally fine, you’ll just eat somewhere on campus you tell yourself, however to your horror you check the Cal Poly app and see this:

If you live on campus (or somehow find yourself on campus at night on the weekend), then you’ve most definitely experienced this struggle. However, the real question lies within why Cal Poly chooses to close its restaurants so early on the weekend – especially when everyone knows college students crave pizza and other random junk foods at night).

While it may seem unethical to deprive us of our late night weekend cravings, Cal Poly’s weekend hours might actually be beneficial to most students here on campus. Since almost all the employees who work in places like The Avenue, Starbucks or Sage are students, it’s actually really nice and thoughtful that our school chooses to close our eateries early. Instead of depriving employees of valuable study time that’s much needed on the weekends employees can go to work and still have enough time in their day to do homework, study or even do social activities.

However, if you’re like many of us here at Cal Poly and find yourself desperately raiding your fridge for something to eat because every eatery on campus was closed on a Sunday night – don’t worry; there’s always Plan B. Thanks to technology, hungry college students do not have to suffer anymore. Apps such as EnvoyNow and Yelp can let you know not only which restaurants in SLO are open on the weekends, but which eateries will deliver your food to campus. EnvoyNow is an app that especially caters to students and offers delivery on campus from eateries such as Panda Express, Chipotle, Pita Pit and Neighborhood Acai. While these places might not accept Poly Cards, it doesn’t hurt to treat yourself every once and awhile.

So, remember: just because the restaurants here at Cal Poly close early it’s not the end of the world… When it comes to food, where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Isabella is a San Diego native and is currently in her first year at Cal Poly. Besides her love for her three dogs, a German Shepherd, a Chihuahua and a French Bulldog (impressive I know), she also loves sushi and online window shopping. Isabella is also a computer engineering major and enjoys learning about and keeping up with the latest technologies. In her free time you can catch Isabella sipping on tea (especially a milk tea with boba) or enjoying a plate of her favorite sushi.
Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.