Wellness > Health

What You Need to Know About National Cheerleading Safety Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

March is national cheerleading safety month, making it the perfect time to discuss education and awareness about safe cheerleading measures.

Before we jump into safety precautions, we need to highlight the four different types of cheerleading: all stars, scholastic, recreational and professional. This article from ThoughtCo. explains these different types of cheerleading.

History of Cheerleading

Cheerleading began in 1877 at Princeton University and originally was a male sport. Women didn’t start cheerleading until 1923 at the University of Minnesota. It wasn’t until twenty years later in the 1940s that female cheerleaders were acknowledged by the public. As young men were getting drafted at the start of World War II, the door opened for more women to participate in the sport. Over the years, cheerleading has grown in popularity and it is known a staple part of many sporting events, such as football and basketball.

In 1988, The American Association of Cheerleading Coaches & Administrators (AACCA) was established. It was around this time that people began to take note of the importance of cheerleading safety. This organization, along with others, is responsible for implementing safety standards that teams are required to follow. The National Council for Spirit Safety and Education (NCSSE) was founded in 2003 to train coaches in proper safety procedures. The NCAA mandates that college-level cheer coaches complete a nationally-approved safety program.

Cheerleading Safety  

Cheerleading is highly physical and safety is a top priority. The dangerous stunts and tumbling moves that cheerleaders perform put them at risk for serious injuries. Luckily, there are steps team members and coaches can take to minimize these risks.

Know the Rules

Rules help keep cheerleaders safe. It is important that coaches and cheerleaders remain aware of what the latest safety rules and regulations are. Cheersafe.org is the top source for safety information. This website was created by national, regional and state organizations to spread the word about cheer safety.

Become an Advocate

Do your part in educating others about cheer safety protocols. Take this Cheerleading Safety Month as an opportunity to spread the word to your program and to other about the latests trainings, tips and regulations.

You and your team can take the safety pledge at cheersafe.org. Taking this pledge demonstrates your team’s commitment to remaining safe and take action to reduce risks.

Cheerleading can take a physical toll especially if you’re not taking the proper precautions. Speaking from my personal experience, my team was always best off when we were all focused on the team’s wellbeing. Always make sure you’re aware of all the rules and ways to keep yourself and teammates safe.

Images via Giphy