What I’ve Learned from Binge Watching Reality TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With all the free time I’ve had, watching reality television is one way I’ve been occupying my time. This binge-watching session has replaced my teachers the past few weeks and so far I’ve learned a lot. Here are the top five things I’ve learned from catching up on all my favorite shows while I’ve been home!

Don’t Spread Rumors

The ladies of Real Housewives of Orange County have been having issues for years, but this past season ended with almost everyone saying something they shouldn’t. From outlandish allegations about drug abuse to catty stories, no one had their hands clean! My personal favorite part of the show is when someone says, “I never said that!” and then the show immediately plays the clip of them saying it. Unfortunately for these women, the cameras caught it all, and they really need to learn to stop spreading rumors! Fingers crossed that the rest of us can learn from their mistakes!

Don’t Wear Pink if Lisa Vanderpump Will Be There

If you watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills or Vanderpump Rules, you know that the color pink has basically been trademarked by Lisa Vanderpump. This season, Stassi got scolded for wearing pink to one of Jax and Brittany’s wedding events that she didn’t even know Lisa was going to attend! I would say, if you plan on spending any time in the Beverly Hills area, it may be safest just to leave your pink clothing at home and save yourself from the Vanderpump wrath!

Don’t Hit People

Now this is normally the kind of thing we learn when we’re young, but Kelly from Real Housewives of Orange County had some issues with this one this season. In case you don’t keep up with RHOOC, on a healing retreat to Arizona, Kelly jokingly hit Shannon and Gina on the heads, causing a flurry of arguments. After all of the yelling that weekend, it is safe to say that even when joking around, it’s best to keep your hands to yourself!

Be Honest About What You Want Out of a Relationship

If there is one lesson we can all learn from this current season of Summer House so far it is be honest! In case you haven’t watched this season yet, it started with Lindsey and Carl going from friends to the more-than-friends-grey-area that is bound to end poorly! But these two weren’t the only ones having trouble with defining expectations in their relationships! Throughout the season Hannah, Kyle, Luke and Amanda all find themselves in some sticky situations. If there is anything to be learned from their crazy summer, be clear with your partner when starting something romantic or beware the confusion that could ensue!

Pay Attention to Details

Many would argue an important part of getting married is becoming legally married, but not for Tom and Katie Schwartz of Vanderpump Rules! After their wedding back in 2016, Tom apparently never got around to filing the paperwork to legally tie the knot. This all came out at Jax and Brittany Taylor’s wedding this past season, much to many people’s shock and amusement! They have since fixed the issue but it leaves an important question to be asked, what’s more important: the wedding or the paper? It’s really up for you to decide as you watch this season of Vanderpump Rules.

As long as classes are paused and I have time to fill, I’ll keep watching and learning from these shows. Only two weeks in and I’ve already learned so much! So if you also have some time to kill and are looking for an alternative educational platform, give these shows a try and let us know what you’ve learned by leaving a comment below.

Jasmine Janisch

Cal Poly '23

Hello! I'm a first-year biomedical engineering student at Cal Poly. Although I'm in a STEM field, I still love to write which is why Her Campus is a great place for me!