What I Do In a Day To Keep This Pandemic From Driving Me Crazy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Day 6? Day 47? Have I only been in my house for 3 days? I really have no idea. While the world is seemingly falling apart outside, I’m stuck inside, trying to figure out how to maintain some kind of a normal schedule. I’m going to be honest, the first couple days I was home I really didn’t do much of anything. Then, I realized that it would drive me crazy, so I started breaking up my day with a couple activities.

Here’s what I’ve been doing during the day to keep me from having full-blown conversations with my lamp.

Get Dressed

It’s really been keeping a sense of normalcy for me to do something as simple as getting dressed in the morning. Even though I’m just at home, changing out of my pajamas helps me start my day, and not fall back into bed an hour after I wake up.

Set Goals For The Day

It’s spring break, there’s a virus raging, I’m out of work, and have no class. It would literally be the easiest thing to sit around and get nothing done. After spending the past 10 weeks in class and at work, everything coming to a halt has not been an easy transition. After a few days of binge-watching movies and staying in bed, my sanity begged me to do something productive.

Even though I have no real responsibilities at the moment, I start the day by making a list of things I want to get done before I go to bed. Today, for example, my list consisted of painting my nails, writing this article, making my friend a birthday card and washing my makeup brushes.

Disney+ Time

My roommate wanted to split the cost of  a Disney+ account together since last quarter, and now I’m very glad we did. Disney literally owns all of the content from my childhood, and I’m happy to take advantage of all this free time and throw it back to a simpler time. Currently, I’m watching Phineas and Ferb as well as Lilo and Stitch the Series. However, I have begun to limit myself to one movie per day because I want to be productive (this had to happen after I spent half the day watching both Frozen movies).

Walk My Dog

With my whole family off work, my dog has taken it upon herself to make sure all attention is on her every second of the day. She’s one of the only reasons I go outside every day. If we don’t walk her at this point, she follows me around the house and hangs her head (I’m pretty sure she knows she’s guilting me).

Clean Something (for my mom’s sanity, not my own)

With everyone home all day, tensions run high when the dishes start piling up. To prevent any yelling from starting, I try to clean something (usually the dishes or the bathroom) every day. It keeps my mom from getting after me and my brother. When she’s happy, we’re all happy.

Create Something

This is usually something from the list I make in the morning. For example, today the things that I created were my friend’s birthday present and this article. Tomorrow I have to start a painting for my brother’s birthday. If  I don’t have something specific in mind, I’ll start doing my makeup or follow a new tutorial. Creating something during the day makes me feel more productive and like I’m not wasting my time at home.

Stay Up Way Too Late Watching Youtube

Would this be happening regardless of the pandemic? Yes. I just feel less guilty about it, especially knowing that I don’t have to wake up early the next morning. This usually gets interrupted with calls from my friends and boyfriend, making sure everyone is still at home and bored. 

Regardless of what you do to occupy your time, do something. Make a schedule and accomplish something no matter how small. Comment below what you do to stay sain during this time!

Those are my major activities these days. I’m not sure how much it will change once classes start again. I’m used to having class and work simultaneously, but  now that I’m going to be doing class from the comfort of my bed, I’m going to have to work harder on being productive. We can only hope for the best (but I’m already guessing I’m going to show up for classes in the fall wearing sweats after doing it all this spring).

Hi, I'm Daytona and I'm a 3rd year journalism major. I love all things beauty and self care related. When I'm not in class or at work, I'm finding new ways to change up my look or go to the beach with my friends.