What a “Hot Girl Summer” Really Means

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

These views do not necessarily reflect those of Her Campus Cal Poly.

Picture this: it’s summer 2020, UV index is 10, you’re hanging out poolside with your girl gang, cold drink in hand. The only way to make this scene even better is to turn on “Hot Girl Summer” by Megan Thee Stallion. A song that was once just a funny meme has taken the world by storm and turned into a way of life. Through her music, Stallion sends out an important message to young women about how to feel confident in your own skin. Listening to this song empowers women to be unapologetically themselves — in any way, shape, or form. 

Megan Thee Stallion is a mascot for women’s empowerment. As the first female rapper signed to 300 Entertainment in 2018, she has shared her craft and feminine energy with the world. Stallion is known for her fierce confidence, explicit lyrics, and calling herself “Hot Girl Meg.” No matter what she does, Stallion brings an edge and vibe that is hard to match and that many girls worship.

There are a million reasons why this song needs to be on your summer playlist. It represents a mindset, not just a season. It is easy to think “Hot Girl Summer” is simply about girls with a body we envy, but Stallion has a much bigger message. She wants all women to embody this phrase and live it out daily. 

Every time I hear this song, I feel myself going into a mental state of female bada**ness. One of my favorite lines is “Handle me? Who gon’ handle me? Thinkin’ he’s a player, he’s a member on the team.” When I first heard this line, I thought to myself, “damn, this girl knows what she’s saying.” We are in charge of our own life and how we want to live it. Anything and everything we do should be in our own best interest. Our truth is our own and nobody can change that. 

There are endless examples of ways to personify a hot girl summer… posting a hot bikini picture? Hot girl summer. Watching romcoms every weekend? That’s a hot girl summer. Killin’ it at your new job? Definitely hot girl summer. As long as you strut through life being unapologetically you — you are living out the song and your own truth.

Megan O'Grady

Cal Poly '21

Megan O’Grady is a fourth year Child Development major with a Psychology minor. She’s a sucker for astrology, sex + relationships, and deep talks. When Megan is not writing for Her Campus, she’s most likely dancing, watching music videos, or thinking about Harry Styles.