The Ultimate Pacific Northwest Roadtrip!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

What’s the best thing to do in the summer? Hop in a car with some friends and go on a roadtrip! A lot of Cal Poly students are California residents, so heading north into Oregon and Washington is the perfect route for a few week trip on the road. The PNW is plentiful with beautiful and exciting places to see, but here are a few that should not be missed.

Ashland, OR:

This quaint town is home to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and Lithia Park. It is the first town into Oregon on I-5 over the California border making it the perfect first stop.

Crater Lake:

This majestic sight will take your breath away without a doubt. There are many hiking trails around the lake, and the brave ones can even jump into its frigid waters.

Toketee Falls:

Get ready to be stunned! Toketee Falls is located along the Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway, which is 170 miles of luscious nature.

Painted Hills:

Eastern Oregon is a beautiful barren land. The Painted Hills will leave you in awe because of their surprisingly vibrant stripes of color.

Columbia River Gorge:

This scenic drive along the Columbia River is filled with forests and waterfalls. Be sure to check out the magnificent Multnomah Falls.

Portland, OR:

There is so much to do in this hip city. Some highlights include the Japanese Garden, Voodoo Doughnuts, Powell’s Books and the plethora of food trucks.

Mount Rainier:

This National Park is a place for biking, hiking, climbing, fishing, boating and exploring. The wildlife and surrounding area is more than incredible.

Tacoma, WA:

Tacoma is home to the famous Museum of Glass. Being located near Seattle makes it a perfect day stop on the way.

Seattle, WA:

Don’t miss out on Starbucks’ birthplace! Seattle is home to the Space Needle, Pike’s Place Market and many other hot destinations.

Snoqualmie Falls:

This 270-foot waterfall is absolutely breathtaking. It is one of Washington’s most famous scenic attractions, and that is definitely for a good reason.

Olympic National Park:

This diverse park spreads across mountains, forests, lakes, glaciers and the Pacific coastline. The incredible scenery here is untouched and one-of-a-kind.

Forks, WA:

Come visit the home and filming site for the movie “Twilight.” Forks is a small town nestled in the enchanting forests of the northwest.

Haystack Rock:

Cannon beach is a perfect taste of the Oregon coast. Sunset is a particularly perfect time to watch the day fade behind this iconic rock.

Oregon Dunes:

This 40-mile National Recreation Area is home to incredible fun and beauty. Whether you rent a dune buggy or just hang out between the mounds of sand, you are sure to have a great time.

This roadtrip through the PNW will be one that is never forgotten. You will see so much natural beauty at all of these wonderful locations. So, start burning some CDs and get on the road!

Katy Barnard is a Graphic Communications student at Cal Poly SLO. Her passions include photography, design and music. Katy loves going on adventures, hanging out with friends and laughing around the dinner table with her family. She is very excited to share her thoughts with the world through Her Campus Cal Poly!
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.