The Ultimate Middle School Heartbreak Playlist from the Early ’00s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Whether it’s positive memories or cringe-worthy ones, songs from the ’00s are nostalgic for today’s 20-somethings. Here is a list of jams that may bring you back to the days when tamagotchis, “scrunched” hair and graphic t-shirts were life.

Middle school dances played some of these songs almost every time on a continuous track. When the playlist switched from Usher’s hit song “Yeah,” to Mario’s “Let Me Love You,” everyone knew it was totally slow dance time.

These jams probably got you through your “pre-teens,” which were basically one huge emotional rollercoaster.

1. “Collide” by Howie Day

“Even the best fall down sometimes, even the wrong words seem to rhyme…”

2.  “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol

“If I just lay here, would you lie with me and just forget the world?”

3.  “Fifteen” by Taylor Swift

“’Cause when you’re fifteen, somebody tells you they love you, you’re gunna believe them…”

4. “Iris” by the Goo Goo Dolls

“When everything’s meant to be broken, I just want you to know who I am…”

5. “So Yesterday” by Hilary Duff

“Well that’s the way it goes, but I’m gonna keep your jeans, and your old black hat, ’cause I want to, they look good on me…”

6.  “Potential Breakup Song” by Aly and AJ

“It took too long for you to call back, And normally I would just forget that, Except for the fact it was my birthday, My stupid birthday…”

7.  “Adam’s Song” by Blink 182

“Sixteen just held such better days…”

8. “Too Little Too Late” by JoJo

“You say you dream of my face, but you don’t like me, you just like the chase to be real it doesn’t matter anyway…”

9. “Island in the Sun” by Weezer

Speaking of JoJo, we can’t forget a throwback to the movie Aquamarine!

10. “So Sick” by Neyo

“And I’m so sick of love songs, so tired of tears, so done with wishing you were still here.

Said I’m so sick of love songs, so sad and slow, so why can’t I turn off the radio?”

11.  “Let Me Love You” by Mario

“Baby you should let me love you, let me be the one to, give you everything you want and need…”

12. “Breathe (2 a.m.)” by Anna Knalick

“Cause you can’t jump the track, we’re like cars on a cable and life’s like an hourglass glued to the table…”

13. “Bring Me Back to Life” by Evanescence

“Wake me up inside…

14. “No Scrubs” by TLC

“Hanging out the passenger side of his best friend’s ride, trying to holler at me…”

15.  “Leave” by Jesse McCartney

“Why don’t you tell him that I’m leavin’ never lookin back again, You found somebody who does it better than he can…”

16. “Big Girls Don’t Cry” by Fergie

“And I’m gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket, But I’ve got to get a move on with my life, It’s time to be a big girl now, And big girls don’t cry…”

17.  “Breakeven” by the Script

“Cause I got time while she got freedom, ’cause when a heart breaks no it don’t break even…”

18.  “Jar of Hearts” by the Band Perry

“You’re gonna catch a cold, from the ice inside your soul, so don’t come back for me, who do you think you are?”

19. “Battlefield” by Jordin Sparks

“Don’t even know we’re fighting for, why does love always feel like a battlefield…”

20. “Chariot” by Gavin Degraw

“Your favorite fruit is chocolate covered cherries, And seedless watermelon ohhhh, Nothing from the ground is good enough…”

21. “Apologize” by One Republic

“IT’S TOO LATEEEEEEE…”

22.  “I Hate This Part” by The Pussycat Dolls

“I can’t take it any longer, thought that we were stronger, all we do is linger, slipping through our fingers…”

23. “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child

“You know I’m not gonna diss you on the Internet, ’cause my momma taught me better than that…”

24. “Gotta Go My Own Way” by the High School Musical Cast

HSM fans will never forget the moment Gabriella handed Troy his necklace back at Palm Springs and left him.

25. “Wait for Me” by Elliot Yamin

“So, baby, I will wait for you, ’cause I don’t know what else I can do…”

26. “Sorry, Blame on Me” by Akon

“I’m sorry that it took so long to speak but I was on tour with Gwen Stefani…”

27. “When You Look Me in the Eyes” by the Jonas Brothers

“When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me, and that everything’s alright…”

28. “Overboard” by Justin Bieber

“I can’t swim on my own, too much, feels like I’m drowning without your love, so throw yourself out to me, my lifesaver…”

29. Zoey 101 Theme Song

Still mourning because we’ll never find out if Zoey and Chase ended up together.

30.  “A Drop in the Ocean” by Ron Pope

“It’s like wishing for rain, as I stand in the desert…”

31. “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera

“I am beautiful, no matter what they say. Words can’t bring me down…”

32. “Love Story” by Taylor Swift

“I talked to your dad, go pick out a white dress, it’s a love story, baby just say yes…”

Side note: This is definitely NOT how Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet” goes, but it’s much cuter.

33. “I’m With You” by Avril Lavigne

“It’s a damn cold night, tryna figure out this life…”

34. “Bleeding Love” by Alicia Keys

“But I don’t care what they say, I’m in love with you…”

35. “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” by Green Day

“Wake me up when September ends…”

Ah nostalgia. Maybe we want to go back to this time now? Think about it a little while longer and you’ll probably change your mind.

Student Athlete Majoring in Journalism. Obsessed with all things involving nature, art, and music.