kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Try Including These Affirmations With Your New Year’s Resolutions This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I think it is so important to set goals, so naturally, I am a big proponent of New Year’s resolutions. However, I feel that sometimes we get so caught up in all the places in our lives where we can improve that we forget to take a minute to appreciate how we have already improved greatly over the past year, how we have accomplished things that our past selves would be proud of. When you brainstorm ideas for your resolutions, try writing down affirmations and things that you like about yourself as well and remind yourself of them throughout the year. Here are some examples of affirmations that I believe can be true of anyone: 

• I am enough for myself exactly the way I am

• I am on my own path of growth–nobody else can define it

• Other people’s success does not take away from my own

• I know my heart–what other people believe of me is not a reflection of myself

• I am capable of achieving my goals

These are just a few examples and I recommend that you use these if you like them, as well as more personalized ones and include them with your resolutions. What are some things you love about yourself? Or things you can at least acknowledge as traits you admire. Write down your passions and values and how you live in accordance with them. Take the time to detail the ways in which you are already great. 

Affirming yourself and the progress you have already made could actually help you achieve your new goals because it is much easier to acknowledge your success when you view your growth as a process. Being able to say “I’m proud of myself because I can see how I have improved, but I hope to improve on this further” is instrumental in giving yourself the space to do what you desire. Growth is never linear. Some weeks or months this past may have been some of the toughest for you, and some months may have been the best. Both ends of the spectrum helped you grow whether or not you’d characterize your life as in alignment with what you had hoped. Let 2020 be the year where you learn to accept what life throws at you, giving yourself grace through the hardships. 

Speaking from my own experience, every time you think of yourself in a positive way, affirming yourself, it becomes easier to do it again and you start to live life with a more grateful and joy-filled heart. I hope 2020 is the year where you realize how magnificent you already are. 

Emily Gassaway

Cal Poly '21

I am a second-year English major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo with a minor in Child Development.