Trends from New York Fashion Week 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

New York Fashion Week just came to an end, meaning pictures of celebrities politely clapping or looking mildly confused as models walk the runway will not be in mass publication again until next year.

For those of us who were not as fortunate to experience the remarkable designs and stunning styles firsthand, here’s a recap of the trends seen throughout 2014’s Fashion Week.

Menswear:  This year, it seems to be all about minimalistic menswear-inspired pieces. Each of these outfits read as sophisticated and put together.

This Saint Laurent black, tailored jumpsuit with shoulder pads, a cinched waist and a deep V-neck is epitome of cool-girl chic.

Complete with a cropped blazer, a skinny tie and mini shirt, this other ensemble by Saint Laurent is a lady-like and grow up version of an all-boys’-school uniform.

These crocodile leather brogues by Victoria Beckham are reminiscent of what would a mobster from the 1930s might have worn.

This androgynous look by Chloé, consisting of a sheer, olive-green tank top and drop crotch pants, gives off an artsy, effortless vibe.

Margaret Howell’s oversized dungarees with zipper detailing look almost mountain-man-esque when paired with a pom-pom knit beanie and desert boots.

Gothic: This year, many designers have opted for black as their go-to color (no, black technically isn’t a color, but bear with me). This is great news for anyone who has ever had the desire to dress like one of the characters from the latest season of American Horror Story.

The combination of white rose detailing and a fitted bodice with peak a boo lace, makes this Marchesa dress both scary and sexy.

This Ralph Lauren number appears to be inspired by Wednesday Addams. Actually, this outfit might be something Cher from Clueless would wear if she developed a sudden love for Edgar Allen Poe poems and Vincent Price movies.

At first glance it may be difficult to notice that this amazing gold dress by Monique Lhuillier is embellished with skulls. This dress is ideal for those who appreciate both the beautiful and the macabre.

Erdem’s lace cut out and crushed velvet dress looks like something out of a Tim Burton movie.

Icy Blue Pastels: While still pretty and fresh, this unexpected, cool toned pastel is much more sophisticated than any mint green or baby pink could ever be.

.

Nina Ricca’s breezy dress is edged up with distressed lace detailing at the upper thigh.

This Balenciaga dress embodies the very essence of Marie Antoinette (at least Sofia Coppola’s version) with its voluminous lace color and luxurious satin panels.

This Burberry Prorsum mid-length dress looks like something Kate Middleton would wear to a red carpet event. When paired with sea foam green cardigan and hot pink leather sandals, this gorgeous dress looks a bit more casual.

Alexander Wang’s football jersey-like dress in a dusty, lavender blue puts a feminine spin on the sports luxe trend seen throughout all of last year.

These light-blue, high waited satin trousers from Marc Jacobs scream tomboy chic.

Metallics: Gold, silvers and bronzes were shining bright during all of Fashion Week.

Proenza Schouler’s textured bronze crop top reminds me of a piece of armor. In my opinion, this outfit is a chic way to channel your favorite Game of Thrones character without looking like you’re on the way to a Renaissance fair.

This PPQ London’s metallic silver leather skirt is both professional and irresistibly unique.

These golden, mirrored crocodile shoes by MaxMara are best defined as futuristic Western wear.

Byblos’  foil print dress has a dazzlingly and chic cut.

Grungy Makeup: The makeup artists of this year’s Fashion Week must have taken inspiration from Country Love circa 1992. All these looks have minimal contouring, a flawless application of foundation and interesting eye makeup.

Needless-to-say, Marc Jacobs’ makeup team loved blenched eyebrows this year. The brown eyeliner in the eyelid crease causes the model’s makeup to look like a grungy version of 1960s mod.

Rodarte’s makeup artist, James Kali, used a glittery, pinkish-cooper shade under the eye, all over the lid and into the brown bone. The same iridescent shade was then applied to the lips.

Fallon’s rust smoky eye is the most wearable and natural looking makeup out the three looks. However, when this matte, earthy brown shade is applied to both the eyes and the mouth, it adds an undeniable edge.

I am a 3rd year English here at Cal Poly. I have a passions for all things pop culture, dogs and feminism.
Sophia Liu

Cal Poly '19

Sophia Liu is a second-year architecture major and media arts minor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She grew up in a little town in Los Angeles County. A wild dreamer, she loves photography, fashion, and big cities.