Top 5 Rec Classes to Try This Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

By October, we all have our academic classes figured out. Before midterms begin, take advantage of our beautiful Rec Center and sign up for some awesome group workout classes! The YouTube workout videos just can’t compare to the amazing instructors that will push you to your limit in these top five group classes.

6 Pack Abs 

If you want to start out simple, take this class. It’s 30 minutes, which is great if you have a short break and still want the benefits of strengthening your core.  Another plus: you won’t get bored because it will be over before you realize you’ve been working out! It’s a great class for those of us who are working on our bikini bodies for the year round sunshine in SLO.

Barre8 

This class is for anyone that wants to have a dancer’s body without actually having to attempt ballet, jazz or another dance class. It focuses on strength training with music that keeps you energized. The moves are easy enough to master without needing much coordination and you will feel much stronger afterwards!

Body Pump

The weight room can be a little intimidating at times, so this is a class for those of us who are looking into working with weights but need pointers or group support. You use barbells and weights along with a mixture of strength training to get a full body workout.

Zumba

If you have never tried this class then this should be the first on your list. It’s a high and energetic dance workout that gets you breathing hard and your muscles working. The hour-long class flies by! Before you know it, it’s over and you’ve mastered almost all of Beyoncé’s dance moves.

Yoga

This quarter, there are an amazing number of different yoga classes to check out. Rock ‘n Reggae and Human Body Training Yoga are a few you should try, whether you are just starting yoga or have been practicing the downward dog for years. The evening classes are great to release all the stress of the day and get your mind and body relaxed.

These are only five class options at the Rec, so check out the website for information on all of them! 

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8