The Top 3 Day-Trips to Take With Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

It’s been another nerve-wracking week of school and the weekend is finally here to give you some mental reprieve before you actually go all gray from the stress. But what to do? Here are some day trip ideas perfect for that stress-free weekend, so grab a group of your best buddies and hit the road for some fun!

Morro Bay

Just 15 minutes away from campus, Morro Bay is the perfect place to hang out for the day. Morro Bay, a quaint seaside town, is home to the beautiful Morro Bay rock along with activities such as kayaking, surfing and hiking. Rent some kayaks from along the waterfront and kayak to the sandbar across the way, or go to the Morro Rock Beach and surf in the waves. If you want something to eat, walk along the cute downtown streets and pick from many delicious restaurants, like Hofbrau, a German-style restaurant with delicious hand-carved roast beef sandwiches and homemade clam chowder. Want a little trinket to remember your awesome day? Head over to the Shell Shop and peruse the many varieties of shells they have for sale. Whatever you choose, Morro Bay is a great destination for you and your friends!

Big Sur

Only two hours away, Big Sur is a gorgeous place to go explore. There are many places within its majestic redwood forests and bright blue oceans that are ready for adventuring! Julia Pfeiffer Burns National Park is a great stop to hike and see the pristine McWay Falls or hike in the almost fairy-tale like redwood groves of the Ewoldsen Trail. Didn’t get enough time to spend out in the beautiful outdoors? Extend your trip and camp in one of the many gorgeous campsites available! What better way to spend the weekend than to sleep under the stars with a group of friends in one of the most gorgeous places on earth, and right in our backyard too!

Hearst Castle

Built between 1919 and 1947, William Hearst’s historic landmark is a must-see, and with tickets costing only $25 dollars, it is an awesome destination to visit with friends! The castle itself boasts of beautiful pools and gardens that take you to faraway places and huge dining rooms that once hosted parties with the likes of Charlie Chaplin, Charles Lindbergh and Joan Crawford. Tours run daily, and there’s a variety of them. After the tour ends, you can continue to walk around the magnificent pools and gardens at your own pace. If you want to experience Hearst Castle in its heyday, take the Evening Tour (available in the spring and fall) where staff dress in 1930s attire to give guests a glimpse into what it was really like at Hearst Castle back in the day.

Whatever trip you and your friends choose, there will surely be many memories made and a fun time for all!

Morgan Mazzocco is a fourth year English major with a minor in Media Arts & Technologies. She hopes to someday work in an art museum and pretend to be Dorian Grey.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu