Toast Loving Campus Cutie: Sarah Matthews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Meet Sarah Mathews, the adorable, toast-loving epitome of a campus cutie!

Major: Business Marketing

Relationship Status: In a relationship

Where are you from?

Orange County, California. I was born in L.A. and when I was 2 we moved to Irvine. We’ve been living there ever since! So coming here to Cal Poly was a really big change of location for me. Orange County was like a little bubble, and now I have a newer, more exciting bubble of my own here in SLO.

What are some of your hobbies?

I like to paint, work out, and I love clothes. I love dressing up.

What are you involved in here at Poly?

I’m in Chi Omega! I’m also a part of Women in Business and Young Life. Oh, and homework—I’m always involved in homework.

Favorite food?

I love toast. Like, toast makes me so happy. You can put peanut butter on it—as long as it’s all-natural PB, of course. You can put butter or jelly on it; you can put freakin’ avocado on it. I’m just saying—I love toast. Oh, and chicken is my life. The Polynesian sauce from Chick-fil-a is amazing!

Tell us one interesting fact about yourself?

That’s a good question. I never know how to answer that! I have been to about seven or eight different countries—Spain, France, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Russia, and Estonia. Plus the U.S., of course. I also went to Mexico once to help build houses for those in need.

What are your most played songs/artists?

Recently? Besides Justin Bieber? I really love Trey Songs. His new song “Slow Motion” really gets me goin’. Or, Pia Mia. She’s a badass.

Describe the perfect date!

I’ve been on a lot of really great dates, but the one I’ve recently been dreaming about would be to have my boyfriend show up with a meal in a picnic basket all ready to go. We’d drive somewhere that means a lot to us, and he would plan ahead to bring a blanket or sweatshirt if it’s cold. We’d listen to music, and just enjoy each other’s company. But the thing that matters most is him taking the time to plan it out, you know? When someone takes the time to make something special for you… I think that’d be the closest thing to perfection.

Tell us about your favorite Christmas memory!

O!h gosh, there are so many that just popped into my head—memories from my childhood and even from just this past year. My favorite would have to be from when my brother and I were really young, about the time in our lives when we were still getting toys under the tree. My mom, being a really creative woman, didn’t just want us to get the toys; she wanted us to find them. She worked with neighbors to put on a scavenger hunt for us that Christmas morning. There was a letter under the tree that led us to the garage, the oven, and our neighbors’ front doors. The last clue led us to our good friend’s backyard where a huge box told us we were getting a trampoline for Christmas. We ran home and spent a solid 2 ½ hours putting it together. It was our big gift that year. We were so excited!  

Zoe Magno

Cal Poly

Zoe Magno is a second year English major studying at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She loves cats, vegan ice cream, and reveling in the absurdity of life. Joining Her Campus has not only given her an opportunity to find solace as a shy-yet-wordy writer, but a school year full of the loveliest memories. You can discover an even more creative side of Zoe on Instagram at @zomag. 
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.