‘Tis the Season: Five Days of Random Acts of Kindness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As I write this while sipping my peppermint mocha and listening to Michael Buble’s Christmas album, it definitely is starting to feel like the most wonderful time of the year. Instead of being preoccupied with the consumer aspect of the holiday (Yeah, we know you’re planning on Black Friday shopping), it’s nice to take a step back and pay attention to the small things that can make a positive difference in someone’s day. I challenge you to participate in at least five R.A.K’s this holiday season. Maybe your kind gesture will make someone smile, or maybe it will restore their faith in humanity.

Day 1: The Gift of Caffeine

What do people like more than coffee? Free coffee. Next time you’re in line at a Starbucks—or any coffee shop for that matter, make someone smile by paying for their coffee drink. They will be sure to thank you for the generous gift of caffeine.

Day 2: Positive Post-It Messages

Though small in size, Post-Its with encouraging messages are always a pleasant surprise. Look up some inspirational quotes and write them down on a Post-It, and stick it anywhere:  in a bathroom stall, on a desk at the library, maybe even between the pages of a library book.

Day 3: Food for Fuel

It’s always nice to receive a little incentive during the grind of a rough week. If you’re feeling especially thoughtful, bring a box of donuts to work, or maybe surprise your roommates with freshly baked cupcakes (from a box of course). Don’t underestimate the power of a sweet treat.

Day 4: Parking Meter Payment

There’s nothing worse than coming back to your car to find a ticket on your windshield (talk about a killjoy). If you’re walking past a meter that’s flashing, do someone a favor and drop in a couple quarters. It’s super cheap, and you’ll make someone’s day a million times less painful.

Day 5: Life Assistant

When we’re out and about doing our thing, it can be easy to overlook people in distress. I’m not saying we all need to be firefighters and rescue kittens from burning buildings…But next time you see someone dropping their papers or spilling their coffee, ask them if they need any help. Even if they don’t need any, they’ll appreciate the effort.

Frances is a third year currently studying Journalism and French at Cal Poly SLO. She hails from the Bay Area where you can usually find her in her local Philz, chugging a caffeinated drink. She is a firm proponent of boybands, rain, Shonda Rhimes shows and the occasional In N' Out run.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu