This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Hosting can be one of the most stressful yet rewarding things. You get to see your friends that you probably don’t get to see often, but at the same time, you have to think of something for everyone to do and have fun!

Being in San Luis Obispo, some of my friends from home enjoy coming up here to enjoy all that this city has to offer, so I have been in that position of having to host four 20-somethings during a pandemic where going out is a little harder to do. But we still had a great time, so I want to share some of what we did, as well as some other options you have when friends or family come up to visit.

Madonna Inn

Madonna Inn is iconic and one of the gems of the Central Coast, so it would be a great place to take people while they’re visiting. If you stay as a guest, there are more activities available, but even if you don’t stay there, you can still enjoy their beautifully designed restaurant. It almost feels like you’re on a movie set when you’re inside with all of the classic decor. There is really no other hotel like the Madonna Inn. If you do choose to stay, you can enjoy the pool overlooking the charming hillside, go horseback riding, and listen to live music or go dancing (after the pandemic).

Downtown 

A San Luis Obispo visit almost requires you to go downtown because that is where all of the best restaurants, bars, and shops are. It is especially fun nowadays due to the new “light up downtown” initiative put in place since the beginning of the year. All of downtown is decorated with lights, so it is great for photos or a romantic walk. Going out downtown to eat or drink is also a great way to spend a few hours. Especially now with takeout being so popular, you and your friends can order dinner and then enjoy it in Mission Plaza with all of the lights and private seating. You also cannot forget to take them to Bubblegum Alley, which is a literally alley full of bubblegum. There is something for everyone downtown, so it is a must when visiting.

Hiking 

There are a myriad of hikes to do in San Luis Obispo and a ton of different levels. So whether you and your friends are looking to do an easier walk through the park or a rigorous mountain climbing moment, SLO has it for you. This is a great way to really talk to your friends or family and enjoy their company while they visit, and you get to enjoy nature together.

Oceano/Pismo Beach Sand Dunes

Another way to enjoy nature is going to the sand dunes. My friends and I did this and we had an amazing time and took some really memorable pictures overlooking the hills of sand. It looks like the beginning of the movie Aladin, it’s almost unreal how stunning it is. You can take pictures like we did, take a picnic basket up there, go off-road driving or even camp out. Sand dunes are pretty hard to come by, so taking people there is a good opportunity to give someone the chance to see something they may have never had the chance to before. They just opened back up, so here is more information on how to camp or even go off-road driving at the dunes.

Drive-In Movie

This is another one of those things that most people never get to do, and the best part is it’s COVID safe because you’re in the privacy of your own car. The Sunset Drive-in usually has pretty late movies so it’s a great idea for a nightcap or last-minute activity if you don’t want to go home just yet.

These are some ideas for a quintessential visit to San Luis Obispo to help ease your worry about hosting. This is to help you enjoy your visitors, without stressing about where to take them or what to do.

Alexa Kushner

Cal Poly '22

I am a fourth-year journalism major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I am currently an editor and writer for Her Campus and have been involved with the club since the beginning of my junior year. In the future, I hope to be a broadcast journalist with a news station and I am currently working with Mustang News radio and television to gain more experience in the field. In my free time, I enjoy painting, watching movies and just laughing with friends.