A Theater Amateur Reacts to Broadway’s Hamilton

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

After its Grammy win for Best Musical Theater Album, everyone was talking about Lin-Manuel Miranda’s smash Broadway hit, Hamilton. If you’re like me and have maybe heard of it here and there, but haven’t yet listened to the soundtrack, you probably didn’t really care that much that it won. But the day after the Grammys, Hamilton was everywhere. I couldn’t open a single website without seeing a link to the video of the cast’s Grammy performance or Miranda’s acceptance speech (which he rapped by the way). So, I gave in and finally took a look. In short, I loved what I saw to the point where I decided to listen to the soundtrack through and update my reactions as I went.

A little about Hamilton before I begin so we’re on the same page here. So, 36-year-old Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton’s composer and the title character, is famous for his previous musical In the Heights, for which Miranda won the 2009 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album, a 2008 Tony Award for Best Original Score, and a nomination for a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical. Miranda wrote Hamilton after reading a 2004 biography called Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow; the musical focuses on Hamilton’s journey from immigrant to founding father, revolving around his relationships with other recognizable historical figures. Let’s see what all the fuss is about, shall we? I don’t feel emotionally ready for this, but here we go.

I’ll do my best to keep spoilers out, but approach with caution!

ACT I

1.    “Alexander Hamilton”

Oh. OooO rapping. Wow, I had no idea Hamilton’s early life was so hard. And people say art doesn’t educate. I want to be a new man in New York! Go Alex go!!!! Oh wait, oh no.

2.    “Aaron Burr, Sir”

This song can’t go well. “Talk less, smile more. Don’t let them know what you’re against or what you’re for.” Hmm…not great advice, Burr. Oh, hell yeah, John Laurens get it! Oooh, Lafayette is here too, complete with absurd French accent. Now Hercules Mulligan is here too, and heavy on the sex jokes. Squad goals. OOH SNAP: “If you stand for nothing, Burr, what will you fall for?”

3.    “My Shot”

“I’m not throwing away my shot.” Anyone think that this phrase will come up a few more times? “I’m just like my country, I’m young, scrappy, and hungry.” ME TOO, LITERALLY. Oh no, “I’ve never had a group of friends before. I promise that I’ll make ya’ll proud.” Rise up! OH NO HE’S RAPPING ABOUT DEATH WHY. I’m already hooked you guys. I am 100% emotionally invested by song three. I’m going to need help after this. 

4.    “The Story of Tonight”

A powerful moment of reflection from the revolution squad (Hamilton, Burr, Lafayette, and Mulligan) as they contemplate how they will be remembered as they spur the revolution. IF THEY ONLY KNEW.

5.    “The Schuyler Sisters”

Okay, apparently “Schuyler” is pronounced “Skyler”. These gals are rich, says intro man. “And when I meet Thomas Jefferson, I’m gonna compel him to include women in the sequel [of The Declaration of Independence].” I love Angelica Schuyler. After she said that, her sisters literally said “werk”. This is another advertisement for New York City.

6.    “Farmer Refuted”

Ok, why does this guy sound like he needs to be wearing a squire outfit. Oh, he’s a loyalist, it all makes sense now. Hamilton is rapping over him and ripping him apart.

7.    “You’ll Be Back”

A message from King George. I imagine him singing this in an over-the-top bathroom as he goes through his morning glamour routine. Oh, and I also imagine him singing this to a rubber duckie as he lights it on fire. I wonder if there’s significance to the fact that the King’s song sounds the most like what you’d expect from an upbeat broadway solo. I hate that I want to dance right now.

8.    “Right Hand Man”

Ooops, the war is happening now. Looks like Georgie made good on his word. WOW ENTER WASHINGTON. From now on, when I enter a room, I demand everyone in it to chant “Here comes the GENERAL”. So cool. Will Washington become the inevitable father figure for Alex? He’s rapping now. This is everything I’ve ever wanted? This is an absolute hype song. I want to fight now. “Dying is easy, young man. Living is harder.” Wow yep, “my shot” reappears. Hm, Washington also calls Alex “son”. That will probably come back to break my heart.

9.    “A Winter’s Ball”

“THE LAAADDDIEEESSSSSS!” If you ever found yourself wondering if Alexander Hamilton was hot, this confirms it.

10.  “Helpless”

Oh, we got some romance a-brewin’. AKA strong independent woman struggles with the romantic desires in the back of her mind. We can all relate. This is pretty sweet.

11. “Satisfied”

Oh yay a wedding! Oh, wait, shit. What’s happening. IT’S REWINDING. Something inexplicably real is about to go down. “This is not a game.” Oh. GIRL RAPPING HELL YES. Wow this is all about selfless sisterly dynamic existing within a society that puts women down and how that relationship responds to the crushing weight of societal expectation. I’m sad now. I want to stare at a wall for a bit but I must push onward.

12.  “The Story of Tonight (Reprise)”

The revolution squad reflects on Alex’s marriage before they all part ways for the war. Burr mentions that he’s in love with a British officer’s wife. Ouch. “I’ll see you on the other side of the war.” Things are getting melancholy.

13.  “Wait For It”

Burr reflects on his loyalist lover (Theodosia, apparently) in a moment of transparency. “Love doesn’t discriminate between the sinners and the saints. It takes and it takes.” WTF I thought I didn’t like Burr? I don’t know what to think anymore. “Death doesn’t discriminate between the sinners and the saints.” OH NO IS THIS MY FAVORITE SONG? “I am the one thing in life I can control. I am an inevitable. I am an original.” OH NO I AM IN RUINS. I’m sure these ideals won’t be brought back up again to kill us all emotionally later.

14.  “Stay Alive”

Oh shit. The title alone. I can already tell that this is going to ruin me at the end in a reprise. I guess it doesn’t look good for our revolutionary squad. “We’re gonna fly a lot of flags at half mast.” The squad preps to get scrappy and sneaky in their fight against the British. Also Lee, maybe stop being an idiot?

15.  “Ten Duel Commandments”

How To Duel 101 taught by Alexander Hamilton, tenured professor. Oh man, literally everything is going to be reprised horribly later I just know it.

16.  “Meet Me Inside”

Oh no Washington’s here. He’s pissed. OH CALLED IT THE “SON” THING IS BACK: “I’m not your son.” LISTEN TO WASHINGTON, ALEX. Oh shit Alex just got his.

17.  “That Would Be Enough”

Alex is back with Eliza. OH DANG. Alex is so fragile right now. Everything is so fragile right now.

18.  “Guns and Ships”

Yooooo Lafayette! And Hamilton is back with Washington. I’m so glad father and son made up. Let’s end this war ya’ll. 

19.  “History Has It’s Eyes on You”

More Washington advice. Oh man, this is deep. He’s basically like–“hey I screwed up majorly and I live with it forever. Don’t do that.” Cool.

20.  “Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down)” 

“Immigrants. We get the job done.” Word. So, a major battle is happening and I’m pretty anxious. Wow remember that death rapping I mentioned earlier? HE’S DOING IT AGAIN. Roshambo! HERCULES MULLIGAN BABY YOU MEAN HUNKULES. YAY VB DAY! 

21.  “What Comes Next?”

Oh here’s Georgie again. I imagine him singing this to the remains of the rubber duckie he previously burned. But, he has a good point. Boo hoo though, get over it.

22.  “Dear Theodosia”

Wow aww. “You will come of age with our young nation. We will fight for you. We’ll make it right for you.” Why any of our parents do anything. Wow awww version 2! Phillip :) A sweet aside before something horrible probably.

23.  “Tomorrow They’ll Be More of Us”

So, this one wasn’t on Spotify. Awkward!! I looked it up and apparently it’s the only actual scene in the musical. I just read it. Oh no! Everything is bad again, as predicted!

24.  “Non-Stop”

Lawyering. Unfortunately, not Legally Blonde. Legally Hamilton. “Why do you write like you’re running out of time?” Oh. Genuine moment between Hamilton and Burr. “We won the war, what was that all for?” Angelica is back! James Madison and John Jay are name dropped. Heard of ‘em? Oh “Helpless” AND “Satisfied” reprises? Help. Wow actually like every song is in here. Classic Act 1 finale.

ACT II

1.    “What’d I Miss”

Someone is rapping and catching us up on a lot of things. Oh cool intro Thomas Jefferson!! What a man. He’s been in France apparently. Ooo, jazzy. That’s wild, TJ literally missed the entire Revolution.

2.    “Cabinet Battle #1”

I hope this is a rap battle. Wow, it is. DJ TJ is totally roasting Alex. Okay, Alex’s turn. This is amazing. This is like those Epic Rap Battles of History but good. This is North vs South right now.

3.    “Take A Break”

French? What is this. Latin probably. Wow development between Alex and Angelica, who’s in Europe or something. Wow have nine years really passed? Angelica, reasonable as always. WOW “My dearest Angelica,” VS “MY DEAREST, Angelica”. Oh wait no I’m not ready for this. Schuyler’s reunited help this is going to be so dramatic. Wow I want him to do this but I also don’t because it would ruin things.

4.    “Say No to This”

Who is this Mariah Reynolds? Swerve. Hm. Wow it’s going down.

5.    “The Room Where It Happened”

TJ and Madison are back and chill now? Political compromise aka political disarray. Is this about the Constitution? I don’t know when this song takes place. “I want to build something that outlives me.” Oh no if only you knew. Burr is jealous probably. Ha.

6.    “Schuyler Defeated”

Philip Schuyler is I guess a senator (who is Eliza’s dad) or was one at least. HEYO. And also a character in this musical. Burr swooped. Tensions rise.

7.    “Cabinet Battle #2”

DJ TJ is back and is Secretary of State. Roast 2.0 commences. These guys despise each other. Didn’t know about this either. Kinda cool.

8.    “Washington on Your Side”

Bitter cabinet people rap with palpable bitterness. The line is literally “It must be nice.” 100% passive aggressive bitterness. It’s hard to tell who the bad guy is here. It may be Hamilton?

9.    “One Last Time”

TJ and Hamilton’s feud seems petty. Oh wait, TJ’s out. Washington is totally unproblematic. He’s like Dumbledore, except not a bad person. “If I say goodbye, the nation learns to move on. It outlives me when I’m gone.” WASHINGTON I LOVE YOU. Definitely the hottest president. He just wants to go home you guys. LET HIM GO. It sounds like they’re singing an actual letter by the real Hamilton. This is cool.

10. “I Know Him”

Oh yay Georgie v.3. His songs are always so fun. They always echo each other. But they also raise very important questions. Like, who in the heck can follow Washington for presidency? Good thing we all know already. #dramaticirony

11.  “The Adams Administration”

Oh yeah, I forgot that 2nd place in the election becomes the vice. That sucks. Can you imagine if that was a thing today good Lord.

12.  “We Know”

OH DAMN. The tea is HOT, ya’ll. This will probably come back again before this thing ends.

13.  “Hurricane”

Oh no, Hamilton is reflecting on his past and his past accomplishments. “And when my prayers to God were met with indifference, I picked up a pen. I wrote my own deliverance.” Chills are happening. I just shaved my legs but my leg hair will probably be back by the end of this musical. “In the eye of a hurricane, there is quiet.” “I couldn’t seem to die (wait for it).” Oh dang it.

14.  “Reynolds Pamphlet”

This is apparently a very important pamphlet! Oh dang! He spilled his own tea before TJ could do it. Curveball! Oh dang, did this plan work or not? Things are falling to shit?

15.  “Burn”

Powerful solos from Eliza. “In clearing your name, you have ruined our lives.” “You married an Icarus. He has flown too close to the sun.” THIS IS POETRY. “You and your words obsessed with your legacy…You are paranoid in every paraph with how they perceive you.” UGH. Yep, chills again. I’m assuming they’re going to be constant from now on. “The world has no right to my heart.” YAS QUEEN. YOU DESERVE MORE.

16.  “Blow Us All Away”

Wait who is this now? Oh no is this Philip? Yep. “Make me proud, son.” Oh no.

17.  “Stay Alive (Reprise)”

Ten Duel Commandments reprise. OH NO? OH NO!!!! Oh God, this is as bad as Lion King. Well, I’ll probably never be fine again.

18.  “It’s Quiet Uptown”

Uptown is not funking me up right now. Uptown is RUINING ME. I AM A DISASTER. The mini reprises. Sh*t.

19.  “The Election of 1800”

“Can we get back to politics?” DJ TJ needs to chill he’s making me mad. I need to recover. “Jefferson has beliefs. Burr has none.” Daanngg. DJ TJ takes no prisoners.

20.  “Your Obedient Servant”

“I don’t want to fight but I won’t apologize for doing what’s right.” Oh no the feud has come to a head. I’m going to need so much help soon.

21.  “Best of Wives and Best of Women”

“Why do you write like you’re running out time.” OH SH*T. Why can’t Alex listen to Eliza just ONCE.

22.  “The World Was Wide Enough”

Oh well here we go. Ten Duel Commandments reprise Round 2. Help me. We’re at 7 oh no. AHHHHH.THE DEATH RAPPING FROM BEFORE OH NO. “What is a legacy?” I’m not fine. Yep. Not fine. “Death doesn’t discriminate between the sinners and the saints.” Help. “History obliterates.” “Now I’m the villain in your history. I was too young and blind to see.” My actual soul hurts.

23.  “Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story”

“You have no control who lives, who dies, who tells your story.” Not fine. Nope. No!!! Literally stop it Eliza. I thought I was a disaster before. Hm. AHH.

Well everyone, it’s over. And I’m not okay. This does a really great job of humanizing historical figures whose legacy is bigger than their lives. Just…just listen to it. And, if you can, try to see it. The audio alone ruined me, so I can’t imagine what it would be like to see it with the set and choreography and everything. Devastating, I imagine. The tickets are probably eternally sold out. That’s it for me. I hoped you enjoyed what you read. I’m going to go lay down and contemplate life now. 

Hunter Laningham is a fourth year English major at Cal Poly and her life never ceases to be interesting. She enjoys listening to rock music, writing various readable things, and spending time outdoors, primarily in forests. Hunter recently returned from an unexpected journey much like Bilbo's which, funnily enough, actually included a dragon. She loved her time in Central Europe and even made it to Iceland, but she's always happy to be back in SLO. Hunter is currently working on her first novel and hopes to finish it before she's 100. Catch her on campus, downtown, or on a mountain and strike up a conversation. She's friendly but shy, so just hold out your hand and talk softly and she'll come to you.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.