Success Is a Process, Not a Milestone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Success: the universal word for something that we all strive for. Interestingly enough, no matter who you ask, every person has a different definition of what they think success is. For some, it’s a string of zeros in their bank account or getting good grades in school. For others, it is building quality relationships with friends and family or just being proud of who you are as a person.

However, I’ve noticed over the years that what is typically considered “success” changes as we get older.  A baby is successful once they learn to crawl, an 18-year-old is successful once they graduate high school and as a senior in college, I often feel that success is landing that perfect job or perfect person by the time graduation rolls around (Seriously, why is everyone suddenly getting engaged?).

But I think success can be something less tangible than a ring on your finger from your 22-year-old boyfriend or a job that includes health benefits – although both are accomplishments that shouldn’t be devalued.

I believe success can also be the actual process of achieving our short- and long-term goals. While caught in the midst of reaching our goals, we often don’t give enough credit to how much we grow and learn in between each achievement. Without this acknowledgement, the limbo between goals begins to feel like a period of just waiting- waiting to get your diploma or waiting for the weekend. A lot of people are in such a rush to get from one goal to the next that they don’t stop to notice how much success they’ve found along the way.

Although graduating from college is an accomplishment as well as moving on to other milestones in life, don’t forget to credit the process that got you there. Success doesn’t necessarily have to be the finish line; it can also include the steps you take to get to it.

Vini is a fourth year Biology Major with a Psych Minor at Cal Poly SLO. She hopes to work in the field of Public Health or Health Care Administration one day. Standing tall at 5'1, you can often find her shopping for cute heels online or talking nonstop to anyone she meets. When she's not cooped up at the library studying for Bio, she's out with friends (usually eating) or trying her hardest to be more outdoorsy even though she considers herself more of an "indoorsy" type. If you ever need help with what outfit to wear or need a good laugh, Vini's the person to talk to!