Studying Abroad AT Cal Poly: Campus Celeb Patricia Morais

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As a Cal Poly student, I have heard a lot about my peers’ experiences with studying in a foreign country. The Her Campus study abroad diaries are some of my favorite articles on this site, so I thought that I would write about the study abroad experience from a different perspective.

I asked Patricia Morais, a 3rd-year civil engineering major from Recife, Brazil about what it’s like to be a foreign exchange student at Cal Poly. Here’s what she had to say:

HC:  What encouraged you to come to the United States to study?   

Patricia: The language and the good quality of the universities.          

HC:  What encouraged you to come to Cal Poly specifically?    

Patricia: I read about Cal Poly online and I really liked the campus, the curriculum, the dorms and the weather of San Luis Obispo.

HC:  Before coming here, what expectations did you have about what American students would be like?    

Patricia: Since Americans pay a lot for education, I expected dedicated students.

HC:  Were those expectations met? 

Patricia: Yes, they were. Most of the American students I have met are very dedicated.     

HC:  What do you think is the biggest difference between American and Brazilian students?  

Patricia: American students are way more dedicated [than Brazilian students], even though I think the Brazilian midterms are more demanding. And Americans skip less classes than we do.                        

HC:  Is it difficult for you to be taught in a classroom where the professor is speaking English?   

Patricia: No, I adapted pretty well to the English language since I had a lot of contact with the language before coming here.                                        

HC:  Where is your favorite place to hang out in SLO?      

Patricia: I love the campus. I don’t have a favorite place, but here is a list of my favorites: the P, Dexter Lawn and downtown during the day has a nice vibe too.  

HC:  How does Cal Poly differ from your university in Brazil?

Patricia: Cal Poly is so much better than my university in Brazil. For starters, SLO is a better city than my city in Brazil. For example, public transportation here is more efficient and reliable, the weather is nicer and people are more polite and helpful. The professors here are way more dedicated, they have office hours, answer their emails quickly and they are punctual. The laboratories have more equipment. There is wifi on campus. And the list goes on and on.                    

HC:  What do you miss the most about Brazil?   

Patricia: Brazilian food, my dogs, friends and family.                                          

HC:  What has been your favorite part of this experience?

Patricia: Making new friends, meeting people, exchanging culture and getting excited about my major and classes. I love Cal Poly. It’s been an amazing experience so far and I am excited for the next two quarters!

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8