This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

With spring break coming up in just a few weeks, the best time for spring cleaning is now!! 

The first step you can take for cleaning your room is simply throwing away all the trash you can find. Look on the ground, look in drawers, look for gum wrappers and scraps of paper and just throw it all away. 

Next, go through your clothing drawers/ closet and take home any winter clothes. During move-out in the summer, the last thing you want is to have too many clothes that do not fit in your moving-out boxes. Switching out your clothes based on the season will give more space in your room and a “new/old” wardrobe. It will also make your packing life easier once summer rolls around

Then, tidy up your desk and accessories. Do you really need three bottles of perfume or 17 pairs of sunglasses? Probably not, so bring some of that stuff home with you! 

Take a look at all the clutter on your nightstand. See if there is any way you can condense that area or maybe pack some things from it. 

While you’re spring cleaning, you can also be packing for your spring break. I know packing is something I mostly wait until the last minute for, so getting a head start on this now can save you time in the long run. 

Lastly, take a cleaning wipe or spray and disinfect all the surface areas in your room. Do your desk, your dresser, your door handle and even your laptop. It can’t hurt to always be extra clean.
The best part about spring cleaning, I think, is that when you come back from spring break, your room greets you nice and clean. What a great way to start a new quarter! 

Happy cleaning!

Clare Zianno

Cal Poly '24

Hi everyone!! I am a 4th year English major at Cal Poly, editorial staff member at CP Her Campus, and love everything and anything pop culture.