jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Songs You Need to Add to Your Autumn Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Ahh… yes, autumn. The more dignified way to say “fall.” The leaves are changing, the air is crisp and it’s Pumpkin Spice Latte season once again. (Unless you live in San Luis Obispo where it goes from 75 degrees to 70 degrees, yet PSL’s remain ubiquitous here.)

In the spirit of this colorful season, here are some of my top song picks to listen to whether you’re cozying up with a warm cup of apple cider while shopping for boots online or need to pump up your motivation for this extra-long 11 week fall quarter.

1. Carry Me Away – King Charles

Starting off on a softer note with this great British artist with even greater hair. This song will leave you giddy with its charming lyrics and simultaneously relaxed with its soft guitar plucking.

2. Traumatized – Grouplove

These guys provide listeners an experience that is as close to an indie head banger as you can get with this song. Traumatized is great to run to as you feel the crisp air hitting your face with each stride.

3. Somebody Else – VÉRITÉ

One of the best covers of The 1975s original. VÉRITÉ puts a much more emotional touch to this song that we can all somewhat relate to. Seeing someone from our past with someone new is never easy, even if we know we don’t want to be with them anymore.

4. Coming To Terms – Carolina Liar

Carolina Liar masterfully combines guitar and piano in this song. The lyrics especially stand out to me in this song because they manage to be heartbreaking but still beautiful. We all sometimes have to come to terms with the fact that “this ain’t all it’s cracked up to be, cause I’m using you and you’re using me.”

5. Down in the Valley – The Head and the Heart

This is a slower pace song but has great lyrics. The artist sings about all the places he wishes he could go, yet he always finds himself stuck in a rut. Sometimes this is exactly how the middle of fall quarter feels, we set so many goals at the beginning of the year but feel swamped with life partway through the quarter. However, the melody of this song still gives a sense of hopefulness.

6. Love On Me—Galantis

This song fits into the category of “It’s Wednesday of Week 6 and you’re three cups of disappointing Julian’s coffee in and just really need a pick me up song because midterms SUCK.” Guaranteed this song will cheer you up. (P.S. These guys are on tour this fall, and are making a stop in Avila!)

7. Haze – Lemaitre ft. Phoebe Ryan

The airy vibe of Phoebe Ryan’s voice adds to the catchy electronic beats provided by Lemaitre which will perfectly accompany you while watching the leaves descend to the ground this autumn.

8. Blood Bank – Bon Iver

Nothing screams autumn quite like Bon Iver. His haunting voice will give you chills every time. So sit back, enjoy your cider and bask in his melancholy vibes.

Songs are a lot more than just a playlist on your Spotify— music is an experience. So enjoy these songs that can help define some of your memories this fall season.

Vini is a fourth year Biology Major with a Psych Minor at Cal Poly SLO. She hopes to work in the field of Public Health or Health Care Administration one day. Standing tall at 5'1, you can often find her shopping for cute heels online or talking nonstop to anyone she meets. When she's not cooped up at the library studying for Bio, she's out with friends (usually eating) or trying her hardest to be more outdoorsy even though she considers herself more of an "indoorsy" type. If you ever need help with what outfit to wear or need a good laugh, Vini's the person to talk to!