Is SLO’s 21st Bar Crawl a Rite of Passage or Over the Top?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I’m still reeling from the excitement of my recent entrance into the whole new world of being 21. No more drinking a weird mix of Tropicana fruit punch with plastic-handle vodka in a dark, sticky frat house! Now I can pay $7 for a vodka water with lemon so that I can get the buzz and still stay hydrated (like a responsible adult).

Turning 21 in a college town like San Luis Obispo comes with traditions not often seen at other universities. There is excitement in dressing up, being surrounded by your best friends and wearing a sparkly sign that boats an extravagantly long list of strangely named drinks and tasks – all in preparation for a night you won’t forget (even though you probably will). 

Weighing the pros and cons

However, there’s more than just one perspective on the night of socially acceptable binge drinking. There are those who think the long lists of drinks including the aptly named AMF (Adios Mother F*cker) are excessive. This is a big night for you, and actually having many fond memories of it would be nice! Many also want to avoid throwing up to make it to Taco Bell for the grand finale. On the other hand, some feel that part of the experience of turning 21 is having your friends recount the night to you as you lay in bed the entire next day with a large bottle of Gatorade.

One aspect of the bar crawl that is often overlooked is the cost. Although it’s your birthday and you aren’t necessarily the one buying the drinks, your friends are still dropping close to ten bucks per drink. With each quarter bringing new 21 year olds to the bars, this can get expensive for the eternally broke college student. But of course, we somehow always manage to find money for alcohol even if that means living on cereal for a week.   

Another debatable aspect of the bar crawl is how different the experience is for guys and girls. Bartenders are much kinder to the birthday girl than they are to the birthday boy. No mercy is given to the brave young men who are given the “Silver Slipper,” which includes a chugging a raw egg with your drink. This difference in experience for guys and girls during the bar crawl can be off-putting for a guy who prefers not to risk getting salmonella.

Despite certain drawbacks, the bar crawl is something that is unique to Cal Poly. It creates a sense of community and relatability to others since most people have undergone the unpleasant “Bull sweat.” There is no greater feeling than being cheered on by your friends as you take your first shot of the night while standing on the bar. Although the following morning may not be particularly pleasant, you only turn 21 once. Being able to have that experience in a town like San Luis Obispo is one that you’ll tell your grandchildren about. So, no matter how you choose to celebrate the momentous occasion of turning 21, it will definitely be a (somewhat) memorable night.  

Vini is a fourth year Biology Major with a Psych Minor at Cal Poly SLO. She hopes to work in the field of Public Health or Health Care Administration one day. Standing tall at 5'1, you can often find her shopping for cute heels online or talking nonstop to anyone she meets. When she's not cooped up at the library studying for Bio, she's out with friends (usually eating) or trying her hardest to be more outdoorsy even though she considers herself more of an "indoorsy" type. If you ever need help with what outfit to wear or need a good laugh, Vini's the person to talk to!   
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.