This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

2021 was supposed to be the light at the end of the tunnel after all of the turmoil 2020 unexpectedly sprung on us. However not even a week into the new year, tragedy struck once again as Trump supporters stormed the capitol, after Trump himself told them to, in order to delay the election results for another time.

One of the most concerning aspects of this whole incident was that the rioters were able to get as far as they did. The fact that thousands of people were able to get inside the building and vandalize it is beyond alarming and quite devastating. 

Police officers were seen taking selfies and being pushed by protesters who forced themselves in. Many Americans already have distrust in the police system and this put the nail in the coffin. The January 6th riots said volumes about the state of this country and the system we have put in place that is supposed to protect us. The capitol security’s lack of control resulted in lives lost, and that is nothing to take lightly. Speaking from experience, the security at the capitol is usually very strict, so how were thousands of people were able to get in? And how were they able to go as far as sitting down in offices and breaking windows?

It has been pointed out before, but had this been a Black Lives Matter protest, the national guard would’ve been out there shooting and spraying people for doing what the rioters were doing. This double standard is rooted in racism and should not be handled lightly. Not only were rioters there to spread their support for Trump, but many were also there to spread antisemitism and racism, with shirts and signs that read horrid phrases on them.

Some of the prominent displays of antisemitism and racism were the confederate flags being waived around along with people who wore t-shirts that read “6MWE”. That is an acronym for “6 million weren’t enough” in reference to the genocide of Jewish people during the holocaust. The insurrection further proved that there are still people in this country that openly feel this way, and that is what is so frightening. 

This display of hatred made its ripple effect throughout America, and now many Americans are weary and anxious for the state of this country. According to the New York Times, a lot of young people are tired of hearing the rhetoric and seeing the double standards, not only in Trump but in our security. Police officers were complicit in this historical event and that is because they hold the same values as the protestors. This is by no means saying that every single police officer is racist, but the capitol attack has made it perfectly clear that change desperately needs to happen in this country. 

On a positive note, there may be one silver lining to all of this. People are now more eager to become involved in social and political activism because we can all see how much work still needs to be done. If you would like to get more involved, here are some great websites and organizations to find out how you can help. 

Alexa Kushner

Cal Poly '22

I am a fourth-year journalism major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I am currently an editor and writer for Her Campus and have been involved with the club since the beginning of my junior year. In the future, I hope to be a broadcast journalist with a news station and I am currently working with Mustang News radio and television to gain more experience in the field. In my free time, I enjoy painting, watching movies and just laughing with friends.