Ribbon and Washer Necklace: A DIY Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

I love the idea of hand-crafted jewelry.  Most DIY projects you find are just things you can hang on your wall or set on your desk, so I have found that there is much more value in the project when it is something you can really use.  I found this Ribbon and Washer Necklace from Nestled Blog a while back, and I loved it so much that I decided to recreate it for you guys.  You will get a really cute and versatile necklace out of this, and the best part is that it only requires two things: ribbon and washers.  The ribbon I picked up at Michaels for a few dollars (download their coupon app – it is a lifesaver!) and the washers I snagged at Home Depot.  Don’t worry, I felt out of place their too. I don’t think they normally see girls traipsing up and down the aisles, but maybe after this post they will! :)

Here is what you need:

-1 yard of ribbon, 5/8″ wide (I used satin, but you could also use grosgrain)

-20 to 30 Washers (Look for the ones that are 1 inch wide with a 1/2 inch opening)

Once you have acquired these two things, here is what you do:

Cut the ribbon, leaving a lot of extra room.  You can trim it to the desired length at the end.

Thread the ribbon upwards through washer 1, leaving enough ribbon to be able to tie the necklace.  You are going to have the shorter end to your right and the longer end to your left.

Next, you will thread the ribbon down through the second washer.

After this, take the ribbon and thread it back down through the first washer, like so.  The second washer will be on top.

Pull the ribbon tight, so washer two is on top of one, flat and snug.

Then take the ribbon and thread it back up through washer two.

Repeat these steps with the remainder of the washers until you have reached the desired length. I chose to use only 18 washers, and you can see from the pictures how the necklace looks.  You can make it longer or shorter, depending on your preferences.

Once you have put on all your washers, all you have to do is tie the ends and you are finished! A little trick, use a lighter or some matches to seal the ends of the ribbon so they don’t fray.  Hold the flame close to the ribbon (but not too close or it will singe it) and it will seal up the edges for you.

Voila! You can pair this with a cute t-shirt and sweater or a floral dress.  This necklace is versatile and will go with pretty much anything, which is why I love it so much.  I hope you guys enjoyed this project!

Hello there! My name is Melissa and I am a sophomore Business major at Cal Poly. I am from a small beach town in sunny Southern California. Technically I am an introvert, but I absolutely love people. My favorite things in the world are the sound of waves, the scent of pine trees, and Grumpy Cat. I am very quirky, a big daydreamer, and I will probably bake you cookies if you ask.
Sophia Liu

Cal Poly '19

Sophia Liu is a second-year architecture major and media arts minor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She grew up in a little town in Los Angeles County. A wild dreamer, she loves photography, fashion, and big cities.