Rec Classes To Keep You Fit This Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Don’t know what to take at the Rec to stay fit this quarter? Here’s the low-down on some different classes that’ll keep you feeling your best.

Butts and Guts

Not a week passed my freshman year where one of my roommates didn’t come home raving about this class. Eventually I had to try it. I wasn’t too thrilled about having to work out my abs (or lack thereof), but the prospect of achieving a toned booty? Yes honey!

Butts and Guts delivers. After a few of these classes you’ll definitely notice firmer calves, lower abs, and of course, booty. They basically run you through endurance exercises for your entire lower body to tighten you up. Perfect for the rec regular, easy enough for the first timer.

Belly Dancing

Want to be sexier than you already are? Shake your werk (Arabic for hip) at belly dancing classes. Now, I love me some belly dancing…alone…in my room…with the blinds shut completely. But this class is so darn empowering that I’ll gladly belly dance around campus with my newfound talent.

You leave every class with some new freakish body contour ability. The environment is chill, the instructors are approachable and the moves are hot.

Breakaway

You know the Rec is bumping when you feel the bass from the room full of cycling people illuminated only by a disco ball. I’m always super envious walking past them because I sense all the good vibes being bounced around pedal after pedal. So, I decided to give into temptation and join in.

This class is a great starter class if you’ve never taken classes at the Rec before. You don’t need to know anyone. The workout is simple and the music is energizing. You’ll pedal in place through different intensities but you can always slow down and not get any death glares for it. Overall, it’s a fun, sweaty time.

TRX

I’ve never taken this class for two reasons. First, it does cost money to take after the first 2 weeks of the quarter. Second, any acronym with an X in it sounds terrifying. TRX stands for Total Resistance eXercise, and that’s exactly what you’ll get the minute you start.

I asked a friend if he’d recommend these classes and he simply said, “well…”. That one word was enough for me to move TRX to the bottom of my SLO bucket list. According to him, the 45-minute class is packed with cardio-intense sets and stamina building exercises. Don’t expect to laze around though, because TRX will push you. But hey, you can expect to see results after about two months of continuous TRX-ing. Even then, I think I’ll wait.

Been there, done that? Hit up some other classes and do work! Good luck! 

Anuja Argade is a fourth year Event Planning student studying at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Her guilty pleasures include late night cereal, good olive oil and spiritual TED Talks (preferably in that order). At dinner parties you will find Anuja admiring the wall instead of socializing like a decent human being. When she's not at dinner parties, Anuja loves crafting things with her hands and hopes to one day build a barn for her potential pet goat. For business or pleasure, contact Anuja at anuja.argade@aol.com.  
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8