Poly Profile: Jen Ford, an Engineering Wizard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Jen Ford graduated from Cal Poly SLO in Spring of 2016 with a degree in mechanical engineering and a concentration in mechatronics. In July, Universal Studios Hollywood hired her as a rides supervisor for the two attractions in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter™, Flight of the Hippogriff™ and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™.

Jen’s duties as a rides supervisor include overseeing the daily maintenance and emergency repairs performed on both of these rides. This can range from signing paperwork to deciding on whether to evacuate a ride. She also focuses on finding engineering solutions to better maintain the rides.

One of Jen’s favorite things about working at Universal is arriving in the park before it opens. “It’s such a privilege to see the sunrise over Hogwarts castle. It is an even greater privilege to work in an office inside the castle,” she said. She also loves the people she works with and enjoys learning from them.

Jen decided she wanted to be an engineer in her freshman year of high school after joining her school’s robotics team. At Cal Poly, she participated in a variety of organizations including Team Tech as part of the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), Alpha Omega Epsilon, WOW Orientation Programs, Cal Poly Rose Float, Cal Poly Choirs and Cal Poly Amusement Park Engineers and Designers (CAPED). She was introduced to the entertainment side of engineering during her internship at a practical effects studio called Amalgamated Dynamics Inc.

Her involvement in these activities along with Cal Poly’s “Learn by Doing” philosophy greatly prepared her for her job: “I took advantage of many opportunities for hands-on experience, without which I’d be at such a loss; I would not feel as comfortable talking about my ideas or asking questions without the experience I had. Cal Poly also taught me to expect the unexpected; this ended up being an important lesson for my job.”

Ultimately, she discovered her job at a CAPED networking event with Universal Studios Tech Services and Creative group. She loved how the people there felt so excited about their jobs. When Universal Studios offered her a job as a rides supervisor, she jumped at the opportunity: “I’m a big Harry Potter fan so the opportunity to be a part of that experience was too good to ignore.”

Working at Universal Studios even runs in Jen’s family. Jen’s grandfather was a sound mixer for many old movies and TV shows that were filmed on the Universal backlot, and her dad worked at the park while he was in college. While she looks forward to continuing her career at Universal Studios, she also hopes to attend grad school.

Overall, Jen’s hard work and dedication have earned her this job. To students looking for a job or internship, Jen says, “Don’t give up! Have a friend look over your resume or go to a workshop. Practice that ‘about me’ elevator pitch whenever you can; it’s important to summarize your experience and strengths in an interview. You’d be surprised how often you’re asked ‘describe yourself’ in a networking or career fair setting.” Jen advises students still in college to take advantage of opportunities and learn something new, even if it feels intimidating. She also reminds students to not be afraid of giving up certain activities to focus on other ones. Ultimately, spend your time in college doing activities that you enjoy.

Jacquelyn Morris is a 4th year English major and history minor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Jacquelyn is passionate about traveling, writing, and learning obscure facts. When she gets some free time from homework and tutoring at the writing center, she's probably watching cartoons.