Pedestrian vs. Biker: Surviving the Sidewalks of Cal Poly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Venturing Cal Poly’s campus not only entails mile-long Starbuck’s lines and the perpetual smell of BBQ, but an everyday struggle for feet-and-wheel harmony. Unfortunately, while this lesson of sharing the road often forces itself upon hustlin’ and bustlin’ students to and from class, and the ones who seem to need the lesson most also seem to be the ones who continually refuse abidance. This, even more so unfortunately, leads to the yelling of obscenities, two-wheeled (and sometimes, too-footed) road rage and the one too many tire-crushed toes. Quarrels amongst pupils, head-butts between mustangs; that’s right—we’re talking about the infamous, ongoing battle of Pedestrian vs. Biker.

But how does one make it out alive from this (hopefully) bloodless, yet entirely frustrating fracas of transportation? Grab your helmet, double knot those laces, and get your digital notepad ready because whether you’re a bike-wielder or prefer to venture on foot, Her Campus has compiled a quick list of sassy sidewalk survival tips that can (almost) guarantee a safe journey to class.

Be aware of your environment!

Guess what? The world doesn’t revolve around you! Here at CP, there are over 20,000 other people walking, biking, driving and golf cart steering the same roads as everyone else. If you’ve got earbuds in, make sure those bangers aren’t banging too loud; you should be able to hear whether a bike or any other force of movement is coming from behind you. No texting and walking, no texting and biking—it could lead you to seriously harming yourself, and others! Plus, wouldn’t it be super embarrassing to walk into a tree because you were too preoccupied with commenting on an Instagram post of a puppy wearing a tutu? We’d definitely think so.

The signs are there for a reason!

Whether it’s a stop sign, a “No Bike Zone” sign or the sign you’ve been waiting for, it’s best advised to at least consider what it’s telling you. Chances are, the sign is there for your (and others’) best interest. Did you know that bike riders are supposed to follow the same laws as automobile drivers? That means making complete stops at stop signs, folks! It also means not creating your own lanes willy-nilly. It freaks cars out, and people walking within your self-proclaimed zone of entitlement might not be able to react to a speeding, whizzing bicycle as quickly as you’d like. Speaking of pedestrians, those white lines painted from one end of the street to the other do have a particular purpose. Just saying.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

Aretha Franklin didn’t sing about respect for nothing! Being mindful of and to those around you is probably the most crucial tip for surviving the sidewalks of Cal Poly. More often than not, selfishness leads to a misfortune. But what does it take to be a respectful lecture-to-lecture nomad? Here are a few examples that may or may not open your eyes a bit: If you’re walking in a group of more than two or three people, make sure you’re not stretched across the sidewalk and blocking anyone trying to get around you. If you’re on a bike, don’t weave between people as if you own the road; try finding peace at a certain pace or place, or even making sure you’re not riding your bike somewhere you shouldn’t be. If you’re about to cross the street, look both ways for oncoming traffic of any sort (wheels, feet or even paws). Attentiveness, being polite, truly sharing the road—if regularly practiced, you’ll see that respect is sweeter than honey.

Most (if not all) of these tips take only a few short, yet meaningful seconds to ensure safety. A moment of precaution is worth much more than an angry stranger, a crappy reputation or someone getting seriously and regretfully injured. Pedestrian or biker, watching out for your fellow mustangs should always come first. Besides, life’s too short to be in a hurry all the time—don’t you think?

Zoe Magno

Cal Poly

Zoe Magno is a second year English major studying at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. She loves cats, vegan ice cream, and reveling in the absurdity of life. Joining Her Campus has not only given her an opportunity to find solace as a shy-yet-wordy writer, but a school year full of the loveliest memories. You can discover an even more creative side of Zoe on Instagram at @zomag. 
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.