Pantry Raid: Emergency Chocolate Cake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

What’s round, brown, costs pennies a serving and will fulfill your chocolate hankering without a carless trip to Albertsons? Well if you haven’t already read the title, let me tell you. Today I present to you…

The Emergency Chocolate Cake

Whip this baby out in 30 minutes flat for last-minute birthdays, potlucks or late-night snacking. It’s our new go-to for when the pantry is bare, just like our wallets.

You’ll need:

1 ½ 
cups all purpose flour

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1
tsp baking soda

1
cup white sugar

1/2
tsp salt

5
tbsp oil (canola, vegetable or corn works best)

1
cup cold brewed coffee

2 teaspoons vanilla

1
tablespoon vinegar (apple cider, red wine or white)

Author’s Notes:

–   Avoid using olive oil, as it will yield a denser and flatteroily cake.

–   Swap out brewed coffee for cold water if you’re loyal to the anti-coffee party. Just remember that we’re in college. Such an alternative is a bit heinous, don’t cha think?

–   This batter is open to your wildest interpretations. Make it classy with rosemary leaves and a glug of balsamic vinaigrette. Swirl in nut butter and potato chips. Or, chop up ½ cup of any pastries, cookies or donuts lying around and fold them in. Just keep the base recipe the same.

How it’s done:

1.      Preheat oven to 350° F.

2.      Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a large bowl.

3.      In a separate bowl whisk together the oil, coffee or water, vanilla and vinegar.

4.      Slowly whisk the wets into the dry. Make sure batter is smoother than a baby’s bum. If desired, reserve a couple of tablespoons to drizzle over your baked slice. It’s dangerously naughty.

5.      Refrain from drinking the batter as you pour it into a greased 9-inch cake pan. Tap the pan on the counter to release air pockets.

6.      Bake for 25 minutes or until top has set.

Now grab a fork and demolish this sucker.

Anuja Argade is a fourth year Event Planning student studying at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo. Her guilty pleasures include late night cereal, good olive oil and spiritual TED Talks (preferably in that order). At dinner parties you will find Anuja admiring the wall instead of socializing like a decent human being. When she's not at dinner parties, Anuja loves crafting things with her hands and hopes to one day build a barn for her potential pet goat. For business or pleasure, contact Anuja at anuja.argade@aol.com.  
Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8