This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

San Luis Obispo, our beloved college town, is bursting at the seams with things to do and places to explore. Whether that be enjoying classic BBQ or going bowling on Cal Poly’s campus, there’s always something new to try. One of the greatest things that SLO has to offer is gorgeous views of the sunset. 

1. The Cal Poly “P” Trail

The renowned Cal Poly “P” can be seen from various spots on campus, especially from the first-year dorms. If you’re a first-year student and don’t have access to a car, this sunset spot is perfect for you. It’s a pretty easy hike to get to the “P”, and the trail not only offers a beautiful view of the sunset but also a great view of campus. 

2. Avila Ridge

This is a much harder hike than the Cal Poly “P” Trail, but the final view is what makes it worth it. If you want to avoid the beach but still have a beachside view of the sunset, Avila Ridge is a great happy medium. But be warned, this hike isn’t for the weary of heart. Be sure to pack a water bottle and bring a friend or two to keep you company on this strenuous hike.

3. Morro Bay Rock

Even though Morro Bay is about a 15-minute drive off campus, it’s still my all-time favorite sunset spot. As you approach the massive Morro Bay Rock, you quickly discover a beach right beside it. This beach offers fantastic waves for surfing and a classic view of the sunset. It’s also dog-friendly, so you might make a furry friend while you’re there!

With all that San Luis Obispo has to offer, know that you will always have the opportunity to try something new and create your own adventures. SLO sunsets are iconic, so make the most of them and don’t be afraid to explore new locations for the ultimate golden hour experience.

Carisa Joyner

Cal Poly '25

Carisa is a first year English major. She wrote for her high school's online newspaper, the Veritas Shield, about politics, relationships, campus news, etc and worked as the Social Media Editor her Senior year. In her free time, Carisa enjoys going on little adventures with her friends, and sharing photos from her life on VSCO.