This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

For a long time, I’ve avoided thinking about all of the things I am unable to do because of COVID, because let’s be honest, it can be sad. However, now with vaccines being distributed and proving to work, the end is finally on the horizon. This list is meant to emphasize the little joys that we have come to appreciate in their absence. It’s to hold onto hope that we will be able to do many things we love once again. Without further ado, here are the things Cal Poly students are most looking forward to when COVID is no longer a worry.

“Giving people hugs without hesitation. I’m looking forward to every decision not being a moral dilemma, like getting groceries, seeing someone, crossing the street when someone is walking near me, etc. It’s wild to think about how many decisions I make right now. Long term, I want to visit friends across the country and travel more unrestricted. Also, live music!” – Janis Lourovitski, 4th year general engineering

“I just wanna go to a house show in makeup and then just mosh, mosh, mosh until I feel my heart will burst, and then mosh again” – Nathan Shipley, 3rd year English

“I am most excited to give my friends big ol’ hugs, travel new places, and see live music!”- June Murray, 4th year experience industry management

“Going to the movie theater and playing intramural softball!” – Emily Quesada, 3rd year political science

“I’m looking forward to destressing. College is already so stressful, I feel like COVID makes every aspect of my life a bit more tense. I’m excited to hug my friends and family without worry and take a leisurely stroll around campus.” – Ethan McGhee, 4th year environmental management

“After the pandemic, I’m excited to look at random people’s faces again. The whole mask thing has made people watching less exciting. I’ll also be able to hangout with friends I haven’t seen in awhile and I won’t have to think twice about it. Most of all, I’m looking forward to meeting new people.” – Owen Castagnoli, 4th year biology

“The first thing I want to do when we no longer have to worry about the pandemic is to go to a concert, hug my friends when I see them, and go out dancing.” – Nahla Sturmwang, 4th year biology

“Post pandemic, I look forward to hugging my grandpa and talking to more strangers without the worry of a pandemic dividing us.” – Phoebe Townsend, 3rd year communications

Personally, I am most looking forward to visiting my sister, dad, and grandma. Because my dad moved in with my grandma at the beginning of the pandemic, I haven’t been able to stay with him because I don’t want to put my grandma at risk. Likewise, I haven’t been able to see my sister in months, because she has been sheltering in place and isn’t comfortable with me traveling to see her. It’ll be incredible to give them hugs and make dinner together. I’m also itching to meet strangers and make new friends somewhere other than Zoom. Going to a party and kissing a random stranger sounds like a blast right now. I’m also looking forward to rejoining the wind band in person. Finally, the pandemic has made me pick only a few friends to include in my bubble, and I am really looking forward to reconnecting with the friends that I haven’t seen. 

I recommend you write down your own post-pandemic bucket list as well. Putting down all the things you miss makes you realize what you value the most. We haven’t lost these parts of our lives forever; things will return to normal, and we will hopefully appreciate our lives more because of all that we’ve done without in the past year.

Wendy McCullough is a fourth year English major and Graphic Communications minor at Cal Poly SLO. She is the campus correspondent of the Her Campus Cal Poly chapter. Wendy is pursuing a career in publishing and design. When she isn't writing for Her Campus, she's surfing, hiking, jamming on guitar, and watching cheesy romcoms.