One Man Will Not Undo All Our Progress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We knew that whichever way the election went last night that it would go down in history. However, I was hoping for a different sort of historical story. I would be lying if I said that I am not genuinely afraid for our future as a nation that and I am deeply saddened by the issues which clearly still hide in the depths of Political America. 

But I am not here to talk about what could have been. I am here to talk about what can still be. Every war, every adversity, every challenge our nation has faced we have overcome through patience and unity. 

The progress which has been made these last 100 years should not be erased by the outcome of one election or the power of one man. I speak for every person seeking an advancing future when I say that we can still overcome the challenges which present themselves in our nation by standing tall and true to ourselves no matter who claims to represent us as a whole.  

We may have lost the election in the eyes of those who look for a future of immediately progressive equality as a nation, but we can still represent ourselves respectfully by not backing down from our beliefs no matter what happens these next four years.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. We got to be where we are today by never losing sight of that light and by believing that it is still there, even when things seem to appear dark and depraved. Do not lose faith in the capacity of power that those around you still have for the future of this nation, even in darker times like these. 

We must stay resilient and hold our heads up, ready to be united for the future of what our nation can still hold. Then, we will truly still be with her. 

I am a Journalism student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo minoring in Integrated Marketing Communications, with a passion for writing and media. My blog can be found at https://adulthoodinslo.wordpress.com/ and I can be reached at Mollyobrien1996@att.net.