One-Day Getaways on the Central Coast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Tired of the same old, same old weekend routine? Try out one of these four nearby travel ideas:

Elephant Seals

Prepare for a cuteness overload! Just less than an hour’s drive north on Highway 1 in San Simeon is the elephant seals’ favorite beach. Every winter, the seals return to the same site to give birth, mate and then make the long swim back to Alaskan waters. Though many elephant seals are leaving as spring approaches, you can still see a scattering of lazy, weaned baby seals sleeping the day away on the sand. Too adorable!

Avila Valley Barn

Hop on the 101 South for a few minutes and you’ll find yourself transported to the touristy but quaint Avila Valley Barn — basically a farm, shop and petting zoo combined. It’s the perfect place to kick back with friends for an hour or two and de-stress from finals. Besides the friendly atmosphere, there’s tons of great food. I’m talking fresh produce, pies, fudge, deli sandwiches and more. What’s not to love?

The Tea Cozy, Cambria

Don’t get me wrong, all of Cambria is lovely, but I have a soft spot for The Tea Cozy. The Tea Cozy is a traditional British tea shop located just over a half hour north of SLO. Choose from a list of over fifty teas while enjoying finger sandwiches and perusing an English newspaper. Does it get any classier than that? My ideal day is having a girls-only afternoon tea party at the Tea Cozy and then window shopping with the gals before enjoying the beautiful Cambria sunset. Life doesn’t get any better.

Pinnacles National Park

The crown jewel of Central Coast hiking locations is Pinnacles National Park. It is well worth the 1 hour and 45 minute drive to bask in its natural beauty. The park is named for the large rock “pinnacles” jutting out from the lush, hilly landscape. Pinnacles is fun for the casual hiker and picnicker, but it’s also is a prime climbing spot if you’re the adventurous sort. Get out there and explore paradise!

Sam Snow

Cal Poly

Sam Snow is a biomedical engineering 4th-year who enjoys movies, music, dancing, and making people laugh. She's passionate health, especially mental health, and her friends and family. 
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.