This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

To say I was nervous about starting college in the age of COVID-19 would be an understatement. My main worry all along was that I’d contract the virus but as soon as I stepped foot in my dorm room for the first time, a new thought hit me: how was I going to make any friends without compromising my health and safety? Back home, I was that person who went around spraying disinfectant on every surface and handed out hand sanitizer like it was a party favor. The only person I ever saw was my boyfriend and that’s because I was the only person he was seeing as well. But here at college, where one of your main objectives is to branch out and meet all sorts of people, maintaining that “social distance or face the COVID-19 consequences” mentality can be hard. Seeing other people find their groups and go out to lunch or study together makes socializing all the more tempting.

What’s kept me from giving into temptation is the idea that every student could get sent home and hundreds could get sick, if COVID-19 precautions are not taken seriously. But not all hope is lost, there are still ways to meet new people at college while staying safe.

First of all, everyone is in the same boat. We all want to meet new friends so no one is going to judge you for randomly introducing yourself (while wearing a mask). College residence halls and dorms were created in a way that makes not meeting new people practically impossible. If you see someone who lives on your floor and is a nice six feet away, say hi and ask what their major is. Get their Instagram or Snapchat. No decent person is going to reject your approach.  

One great way to meet people is through Zoom classes! Drop your phone number in the chat feature or on class discussion boards. Everyone appreciates having a study buddy or person to text when a homework question pops up.

Another way to meet new people and get involved at school is to join a club. Even though the meetings are virtual, club presidents and members are sure to find a way to keep everyone engaged. No matter what your interests are, there will always be a club that fits you. Not only does this give you an opportunity to meet people in different grades (which can be great if you ever need advice from an older student), but you are also guaranteed to meet people who have similar hobbies and interests.

As far as spending time with newfound friends, there are plenty of ways you can hang out while keeping everyone safe. Mask up and take things outside with study sessions, picnics, or hikes. One of my favorite trails that’s accessible from campus is the path up to the “P” which you can take to get all the way down to Architecture Graveyard. COVID-19 has obviously taken away a lot of our college experiences, but there’s no reason why you can’t be cautious and meet a new friend at the same time.

Alex Perez

Cal Poly '24

I'm Alex and I'm a first year English major. I hope to pursue a career in law while continuing to write for an online publication. When I'm not in class or writing, I like to spend my time running, hiking, and painting. My formula for happiness is takeout Thai food plus Sex and the City!