Meet Red Panda-Loving Archer, Matt Callaghan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Meet our latest Campus Cutie, Mechanical Engineering 2nd-year Matthew Callaghan!

Hometown (rooting for Seahawks Sunday?):

I was born and raised in Seattle Washington, and as much as it may annoy my friends who are fans of the 49ers, you bet I’ll be rooting for my home team come Sunday!

Why did you choose Cal Poly?

I knew I wanted to stay on the West coast for college, and while I had a large list of schools, it came down to either the University of Washington or Cal Poly. After a tour, I absolutely fell in love with the “learn by doing” attitude here, and thought it would be a good choice to leave my hometown and give California a try.

What is your dream job?

My ultimate goal as an engineer is to eventually see someone walking down the street wearing or using something that I personally designed. For that reason I would absolutely love to work in consumer product design/development.

What is your favorite thing about M.E.?

Being able to work with my hands on a variety of projects have been a serious plus. It’s awesome that we have so much access to the tools and software I will be using in my future as an engineer.

Least favorite?

200 credits to graduate with zero free electives certainly sucks.

Tell us about working in the Sandbox.

Last year, several of my friends and I built up Cal Poly’s Innovation Sandbox from a near empty room in Bonderson Project Center on campus, to an awesome resource where students of all majors can innovate, think creatively, network and work on awesome projects with each other with very new and experimental technology including free 3d printing and the Oculus Rift. I am currently the Director of Technology here at the sandbox, and would love to show anyone interested what we have to offer.

What sorts of things have you 3D printed?

I’ve printed a countless number of things, but some of the more notable ones include a prosthetic hand, replacement parts for a 3d printer, Christmas ornaments, prototypes for my own projects and ideas, and I’m even currently printing a playable acoustic guitar.

What do you do in your free time?

I love all things outdoors, and as such I try to take advantage of what SLO has to offer as best as I can. I love to hike on the endless number of trails out here, ski, rock climb, bike and practice archery when I can.

Tell us about archery.

I actually just got into it very recently. A good friend of mine introduced me a little over a month and a half ago. Ever since that first day, I’ve been hooked. I bought myself a bow for Christmas, and have been going at least once a week.

Where is the first place you would go if a zombie apocalypse ensued? Why?

I’ve actually thought about this one before. I have a cabin in a very rural part of Eastern Washington. The nearest town has a population of only 159 people. We currently have a dozen fruit trees on our property, and we live next to one of the largest beef producers in the state. I feel like that is a pretty good place to start.

Who is on your zombie-fighting team? (fiction and non-fiction characters welcome)

I feel like Woody Harrelson’s character “Tallahassee” could bring some serious killing power to a team. Also the comedic relief would be a nice distraction from all the chaos.

Favorite place to go downtown?

I will take any excuses I can to get some tri-tip from firestone. It’s indescribably tasty. 

Best memories from freshman year?

While college life was hard to adjust to, those first few weeks were awesome in how open and friendly everyone was. No one knew what they were doing, and they all wanted to desperately make new friends.

What exotic animal would you like to own?

Red panda. They are basically harmless, clumsy little fur balls. I am confused at why they have not already been domesticated as pets.

What would you name it?

Pabu….or maybe George.

Favorite places to hike in SLO?

I’m actually split between Bishops and the eight-mile loop behind campus. I just went way back there near the train tracks last week and found it to be extraordinarily beautiful.

Where do you see yourself in 15 years?

I would love to be an owner of my own product development firm. While I love engineering, the entrepreneurial side of things have always interested me. I feel like the risk would well be worth the reward.

Piece of advice to newly admitted students?

Take time for yourself. Take advantage of all the resources Cal Poly and SLO has to offer. While you are here to study, I know I burned myself out the first year focusing too hard on my future and GPA. You can only try your hardest so focusing on what could have been is not worth the stress or effort. Coming to college is a huge change and you need to be able to take it one step at a time.

Fun fact:

While it may be somewhat surprising, I have a huge love for musicals. Something about the energy and joy of it all makes them my favorite form of performance/stage art.

Hannah is a sophomore at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, CA. Besides writing, she loves running, Thai food and making ridiculously unaffordable collections on Wanelo. Hannah is obsessed with The Walking Dead, old Disney movies, Ed Sheeran and wasting time on Photoshop. She'd like to point out that she can't sing or dance, but will, because that's when it's the most fun, especially when the songs are from "Les Miserables." Follow her on Twitter @joslin_hannah and Instagram @hannahmichele8