Making the Most of a New School Year: A Cal Poly Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

For students, the beginning of the fall academic term can be the most transformational and exciting time of the year, but sometimes we don’t take advantage of the plethora of opportunities and advantages it affords. In case you don’t know where to start, here is a how-to guide to making sure you don’t miss a thing:

Supplies Needed:

1. An open mind

2. A positive outlook

3. Confidence

4. Motivation

Instructions:

Make new friends.

Yes, talking to people can be scary. This is especially true if you are not a typically outgoing or talkative person, but fall is a magical time on college campuses when new classes are beginning and everyone is more open to possibilities. Take advantage of your unfamiliar circumstances and use them as a chance to make some great first impressions!

Attend events.

ASI and Student Housing organizations put immense effort into making the new school year fun and lively, so attend a concert or maybe a mixer. These events are great opportunities to explore your interests and break away from any school-induced stress. These events are usually free too, so that’s another perk.

Join a club.

This is the perfect time to join that club you’ve always been interested in but never had the guts to enter. Clubs hold information sessions and new member events at the beginning of the year, so it’s the easiest time to join. Whether it’s the Hammock Club or Tango, new experiences are always valuable.

Get to know your professors.

No, you don’t have to be the teacher’s pet, but going to office hours and really making an effort to understand the material from the start can give you a great base knowledge, in case you end up having trouble with the class or just want to get that A.

Organize and set goals.

If you take the time at the beginning of the year to implement some structure into your daily routine, it will go a long way when you don’t have the luxury of a refreshed, motivated mind. Fall is the natural time for students to set their new year resolutions, so set some goals for yourself that you can strive towards all year.

Revel in your free time.

At no point in the year will you ever be as relaxed as you are on that first day of school. If you have a movie marathon later on, you’ll enjoy it, but you’ll also have that aching guilt about how much work you could be getting done instead. Use the beginning of the year as a freebie to do the fun things you just won’t have time for in your busy future.

SLEEP.

This is so important that it gets its own number. As with many horrific experiences, the painful details of finals fade away after time, but you know in your heart that sleep doesn’t exist in the wasteland of coffee and group presentations that awaits you at the end of the year. While you are still blessed with the gift of free time, use some of it to give your body the rest it deserves.

Follow these instructions for a meaningful, productive new school year. With a little luck, you might actually learn something about yourself. Happy new year!

Stephanie is a senior at Cal Poly State University who dreams of going to law school (soon!). She is majoring in English, minoring in Linguistics, and also earning the TESL certificate. When she isn't writing, she can be found browsing Pinterest, hanging out with friends, and watching Netflix. Her special skills include level 3 procrastination and baking.
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.