This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

As college students, we are exposed to many new experiences, people and places. Unfortunately with those new things comes new problems. In terms of sex, as we begin to experience new sexual escapades with new people, young women become especially prone to new issues down there, specifically UTIs. 

A UTI, or a urinary tract infection, is not an STI but is an infection within some part of the urinary system.  A UTI is caused by bacteria entering the urinary system and not being flushed out of the body naturally, such as through urination. Once becoming sexually active, women are already at a much higher risk for developing a UTI, especially with new partners. That is why we are always told to pee after sex, and sometimes even shower. Fortunately for you dear reader, I have quite a bit of experience to bestow upon you with UTIs and how to deal with them.

I had three UTIs during Fall Quarter of 2021. UTIs are unbelievably uncomfortable and are, at times, rather painful. If a UTI is untreated, you automatically put yourself at risk for a kidney infection which can potentially lead to death. That is why as soon as you feel any symptoms of a UTI, contact your campus health center or even go to your local urgent care. The following are some of the common symptoms of a UTI: frequent urination, burning sensation when urinating, small amounts of urine, cloudy/foul-smelling urine or even red/bright pink urine. Taking AZO can help relieve some of the symptoms but it won’t flush the infection out of your system.

During your visit to the health center or urgent care, you’ll do a lab test to determine whether it is a UTI. Once you have received your lab results, which typically come back pretty quickly, you’ll be put on antibiotics. Always take the full course of antibiotics. Now I’m sure you’re also wondering, “Well when can I start having sex again?” More often than not, you will be told that once you’ve started the antibiotics and your symptoms have cleared up, you will be good to resume your sex life.

If you’re particularly prone to UTIs, have a conversation with your gynecologist about it; that’s what I did. For those of you who may be a little less inclined to talk to someone about this, here are some helpful products and tips that my gynecologist gave me. 

Taking Mannose Cranberry supplement pills daily can help mitigate the risk of developing a UTI and aids in overall urinary tract health. These pills have both mannose and proanthocyanidins and are the main constituents found in cranberries which promote a clean waste stream free of unnecessary bacteria. UT Vibrance is another dietary supplement that can be taken when you start to feel UTI symptoms or as a preventive measure. My gynecologist told me about one of her other patients who had issues with recurring UTIs, so she started taking UT Vibrance for five days every month. Since starting this supplement, she hasn’t developed a single UTI. These two products are natural alternatives to taking an antibiotic after each time you have sex.

Be sure to take a probiotic as well in order to maintain proper gut health. Taking antibiotics destroys your gut which leads to a higher risk of developing a yeast infection. You can either take a daily probiotic supplement or eat foods with natural probiotics in them; foods like yogurt, kimchi and miso soup are highly recommended to add to your diet.

Just because you suffer from frequent UTIs doesn’t mean you should be forced to put a pause on your sex life and live with severe discomfort for days at a time. Learning to listen to your body and take care of it are key to fighting off UTIs while living the best life possible.

Carisa Joyner

Cal Poly '25

Carisa is a first year English major. She wrote for her high school's online newspaper, the Veritas Shield, about politics, relationships, campus news, etc and worked as the Social Media Editor her Senior year. In her free time, Carisa enjoys going on little adventures with her friends, and sharing photos from her life on VSCO.