Learn by Doing Good

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

We are a very lucky group of people. Not only do we have the privilege of attending a four-year university, we get to do so in an incredibly beautiful city. Dubbed one of the happiest and healthiest cities in the US, San Luis Obispo is the quintessential college town. Surrounded by mountains and cloaked in an (almost) eternal summer, it appears to be the perfect place to spend the rumored best years of our lives.

Yet like all other places, SLO has it’s issues. And like all students, we are subject to the ‘college bubble’. One of the best ways to appreciate our “SLOme” away from home is to give back. Here’s a few easy places to volunteer around town:

Woods Humane Society- After a few short trainings, Woods gives you the opportunity to become a canine enrichment volunteer. The job of volunteers is to provide the dogs with some much needed attention and help them become more adoptable. Tasks include walking, grooming, and simply playing with these sweet pups. It’s like library dog day, everyday. The best part is that Woods volunteers come and go on their own schedule, meaning you can stop by between classes and don’t have to call ahead. Even better, you can work on homework while sitting with the dogs. Now that’s what I call multi-tasking.

Sign-up here

GleanSLO- There can be no argument that San Luis Obispo has a beautiful landscape. GleanSLO provides its volunteers the chance to get outside while making a difference. Their mission is to harvest excess produce that would otherwise go to waste and donate it to those in need right here in SLO county. Volunteers can sign up to join harvests at local farms around their schedule. In some cases the landowners will even let volunteers take some produce home for themselves!

Sign-up here

3. Prado Day Center- The only day center in SLO, Prado provides a safe place for the city’s homeless to rest and receive much needed resources, such as laundry and phone services. With colder weather approaching, the center is in need of extra volunteers to help maintain their warming stations.

Contact volunteer@capslo.org for more information.

4. Nutrition Education- Calling all nutrition majors! The SLO Food Bank runs a Nutrition Outreach program designed to provide free educational resources about healthy eating. The program strives to empower participants to make health-conscious choices while on a limited budget.  Services include presentations about nutrition, food sample distribution, and interactive recipe demonstrations.

Sign-up here

5. Family Care Network- Focused on assisting high-needs children and families, the Family Care Network is looking for people to serve as youth mentors. The program requires twice-monthly meetings to develop a one-on-one relationship with someone who just needs some extra support.

Sign-up here

These are just a few of the many amazing organizations striving to make SLO county a little bit brighter. With all of the options, there is sure to be an inspiring fit for all of us to get involved with. It’s time to learn by doing good.

Lexi is a fourth year Sociology major and Ethnic Studies minor at Cal Poly SLO. She is a big fan of frequent flier miles, hiking, black tea, and Giants baseball. She is also proud to be a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus. 
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.