Kappa Alpha Theta Rocks the CASA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Ring in the weekend with Cal Poly’s chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta and their event “Rock the CASA” on Friday, March 7 from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. in Chumash Auditorium. “Rock the CASA” will be a benefit concert to remember, featuring SLOcal bands Proxima Parada, Street Urchinz, Louder Space and Moonshiner Collective. All of the proceeds will benefit Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for children in San Luis Obispo.

CASA is Kappa Alpha Theta’s national philanthropy that advocates for the rights of abused and neglected children, Kappa Alpha Theta Philanthropy and Service Director and communication studies sophomore Dani Berton said.

Berton has been working hard to give San Luis Obispo and Cal Poly a show to impress.

“Rock the CASA is extremely special to us because we are giving all of the proceeds to our local chapter of CASA,” she said.

Best of all, students will get to lose it to the music while supporting a wonderful cause. Kappa Alpha Theta hopes to raise $10,000 dollars for the organization.

“We have formed a strong bond with CASA of San Luis Obispo County throughout the years and find it so rewarding to know that our money is going directly towards helping kids in our community,” Berton said.

This is Kappa Alpha Theta’s first year hosting the event here at Cal Poly.

“Nationally, it is a popular event that many other Theta chapters partake in to raise money for CASA, but the circumstances have never been quite right for us to do it,” Berton said. “I was determined to make it happen for us this year and I am so excited to finally introduce it to Cal Poly.”

Avrah Baum, art and design sophomore and active member of Kappa Alpha Theta, is excited that the Zeta Theta chapter is hosting this event.

“I’m looking forward to seeing such an amazing philanthropy event finally being brought to Cal Poly and hopefully creating a long lasting tradition,” Baum said.

The event is open to the public — any and all ages — and features many styles of music, including folk, reggae, rock and blues.

Street Urchinz, a reggae and rock band, will be coming all the way down from Sacramento to give San Luis Obispo a performance. Best of all, some former Mustangs, Próxima Parada and Louder Space, are bringing it back to their alma mater to perform.

“It raises money and awareness for not only CASA but the bands playing in the concert,” Baum said. “It’ll bring the community together.”

So rock what you got and remember, mi casa es tu casa.

“I can’t wait to witness the immense joy it brings to our small town!” Berton said.

Allison Royal is a journalism student at Cal Poly SLO. The Lorde song "Royals" is actually based on her life. Born and raised in Los Angeles, Allison classifies herself as a ghetto rap enthusiast who enjoys frequent adventures throughout SLO, sunny weather, making additional SLO puns, floral print clothing, acai bowls, and throwback Thursdays. She hopes to write in some capacity and change the world. " I wasn't born into this world ... maybe I could write myself into it." - Dan Humphrey
Kayla Missman is a sophomore studying journalism at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Beyond serving as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Cal Poly, she works at Mustang News, the college newspaper, as a reporter and copy editor. Follow her on Twitter @kaymissman.