This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

After postponing the release date countless times, Kanye West has finally dropped his new album titled “JESUS IS KING.” This album is mainly made up of Gospel Rap which is something that Kanye has always been openly passionate about, especially with his recent “Sunday Service” in which the Sunday Service Choir, a Los Angeles group, gathers every Sunday along with Kanye and his friends and family to harmonize and praise the Lord. 

Upon the release of this album, there have been some very mixed reviews which is slightly unusual for West as most of his albums have always been a unanimous success. His most recent album, “Life of Pablo” was his seventh No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart. Some of his fans are used to his classic hip-hop genre and were underwhelmed with the gospel-styled songs featured on “JESUS IS KING.” Cal Poly freshman Ali Youel said that she had much higher expectations and that the long anticipated album doesn’t live up to the old Kanye. 

However, there is something for everyone to appreciate within all of the stylistic harmonies and lyrics of each song, even if you don’t typically enjoy gospel music. Kanye’s original style peeks through each song in a way that keeps the album unique to him. 

For example, in one of his singles off the album, “Follow God,” Kanye still maintains his typical flow and sporadic dialogues along with gospel in the background. However, on the other tracks like “God Is” and “Every Hour”, the songs are mainly made up of rhythmic lyrics praising God sung by Kanye and the Sunday Service Choir. 

This album features collaborations with a range of artists including gospel voices and big names in the rap industry. Kanye worked with Ty Dolla $ign, Kenny G, Fred Hammond and many more for this project. 

Above all else, this album serves as a testimony of Kanye’s love for his religion, family, and life. He told Apple Music, “there was a time I was letting you know what high fashion had done for me, I was letting you know what the Hennessy had done for me, all these things– but now I’m letting you all know what Jesus has done for me.” There are aspects of the album that any Kanye fan can enjoy. Regardless of your opinion of this new album, it’s undeniable that it’s a project different from anything Kanye has ever done.

Eva Siffert

Cal Poly '23

Hi!! I'm currently a freshman at Cal Poly SLO. I'm studying Graphic Communications and hope to go into a field of advertising/graphic design!