This Job Posting Forces Gender Roles & We’re Not Happy About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Recent postings of gender-conforming job advertisements by Meathead Movers have sparked controversy in Cal Poly’s community.

What’s the problem?

The posters have been tacked on bulletin boards in the Robert E. Kennedy Library and SLO Donut Company, and the advertisement separates males and females by color differentiation- blue and pink respectively. Much of the criticism surrounding the recruitment poster is centered around gender roles, assigning them to females and males as if they fit one box

“It showcases more capabilities for the guys than the girls,”says Bailey Runnels, a sociology freshman. “It’s interesting–the guys’ side is about working out and leadership and the girls’ side is about organizing. If they want to recruit, they need to be more neutral and less rigid, not so much about gender but more about the company.”

Masculinity

Underneath the male description is “get paid to workout,” suggesting that males would be getting paid for the exercise (because that’s all men do, right?). While studies have shown that men are more likely to exercise day-to-day than females, Meathead Movers’ advertisement doesn’t help the situation by promoting the hyper-masculinity. Instead, the advertisement could target both genders and advocate the benefits of getting paid to workout for both.

“If they want to hire people, there’s another way of doing it than saying packing is for girls and lifting is for guys,” says biology senior, Ashley Purviance.

Ladies, wouldn’t you also want to be paid to workout? We thought so too.

Inequality in the workplace

Also listed underneath the male description is “earn the chance to get promoted,” inferring that only males have interest in obtaining higher positions. Based on a recent CNN article, the number of women CEOs in 2016 are at the highest ever. Currently, 27 women are CEOs of the top 500 S&P companies, and they’re killin’ it. Take one recent grad, Lily Herman. She’s a co-founder of a collegiate media platform, The Prospect, and worked as an editor at HelloFlo and Her Campus. Oh, and she was also listed as one of Glamour’s Top 10 College Women. Now that’s success.

“I would suggest making it more gender neutral. They’re trying to attract girls vs. guys, and they should attract everyone,” says business administration junior, Raul Guzman.

Additionally, the advertisement lists “showcase your organizational skills” under the female section. Hey, Meathead Movers, both genders can be equally as organized, heck both genders can be just as capable of each task listed under the designated gender in the ad!

To MeatHead Movers, while it’s great that you want to recruit college students as employees, we would love for you to do so in a manner that advocates the capabilities of both genders.

Megan Schellong is a Journalism junior at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Megan loves puns, NPR, photography and running (occassionally). When she's not writing, Megan enjoys finding new music on Spotify and reading through as much of the news in her Twitter feed as possible. This year will be Megan's second year with Her Campus and she is excited for what's to come!
Gina was formerly the Beauty & Culture Editor at Her Campus, where she oversaw content and strategy for the site's key verticals. She was also the person behind @HerCampusBeauty, and all those other glowy selfies you faved. She got her start in digital media as a Campus Correspondent at HC Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where she graduated in 2017 with degrees in English and Theater. Now, Gina is an LA-based writer and editor, and you can regularly find her wearing a face mask in bed and scrolling through TikTok.