Wellness

It’s National Salad Month: 5 Easy Unique Salads You Can Make at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Did you know that May is national salad month? Whether you’re a greens fanatic or just trying to fit more veggies into your diet, here are a couple salads to try this month that you can make at home. 

1. Greek Salad

This cucumber-based salad is fresh, light and flavorful – the perfect summery salad. It uses only seven main ingredients, with the option to make your own dressing. I’ve made this several times and it is as easy as it is delicious. 

1. Kale White Bean Salad

If you’re a fan of kale, this one’s for you! This salad also includes lots of seeds and white beans, serving as a good source of protein for vegetarians. Its maple dressing is an unusual flavor but pairs well with the rest of the salad. 

1. Citrus Pomegranate Salad

For a fruity, tangy salad, look no further than the Citrus Pomegranate. It leaves room for some individual choices of which citrus fruits to use, and has good texture variety between softer fruits and crunchy greens and pomegranate seeds. 

1. Quinoa Salad

Quinoa salad has always been one of my favorites (Costco’s version regularly makes my grocery list) and this one lives up to expectations. It’s super fresh-tasting and the grains from the quinoa make it filling. 

1. Mexican Caesar Salad

This Caesar is not the simple romaine-cheese-crouton-dressing version you may be used to; the chicken is especially flavorful and the dressing incorporates flavors like cilantro and lime that give it a unique twist. Corn, avocado, and black beans add variety and even more nutrients.

We hope you enjoy these recipes!

Emi Nishida is a fourth year English major with Linguistics and Child Development minors from Irvine, California. She serves as Editor in Chief for Cal Poly’s chapter of Her Campus. Other than writing, her passions include music, dance, romcoms, anything arts & crafts, and exploring the outdoors.