An Insider’s Guide to Painting Coolers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

What you will need:

– A cooler

– Tape

– Electric Sander/Sand paper

– Primer

– Paints/Paint brushes

– Mod Podge

– Sealant

– Enthusiasm for this exquisite work of art

It’s that time of year again: formal season. I’m talkin’ fancy dress buying, high heels wearing, actually trying to wear nice make up and look hot (like, more than usual…), “formal season.” If you’re lucky enough to get asked to a fraternity’s formal, there’s always one part of the fun that seems to sneak up on you, and that’s cooler painting. It’s been a tradition for years, and not just for Southern belles anymore. Cal Poly’s cooler painting season has come upon us and we’ve got all the insiders’ tips for you, from research, to design, to the grand unveiling.

Step 1: The research

Girls take great pride in painting their beau’s cooler; making sure it suits their personality and style. For instance, you would never want to stick a Coors logo on the cooler for a boy who only drinks IPAs… Take some time to investigate what your date is interested in, so that you can paint something special for them. Every time they use it they’re going to be reminded of you, so make sure it’s something they will be proud to show off!

Step 2: The design

We suggest drawing the design out on a piece of paper first to make sure you can actually do it, before trying to paint it on a cooler. Scope out some awesome Pinterest boards for ideas, and be creative! Then, once you know what you’ll be painting onto the cooler, you can get the all of the paint you’ll need.

Step 3: Buying the supplies

First, buy the cooler. There are so many options – big and small, expensive and inexpensive. Once you decide on the perfect cooler you can gauge how much paint to buy, depending on the size. A girl’s best friends in this situation are “paint pens.” They’re precise and let you write words easily or outline anything with more accuracy. Don’t forget the brushes! Be sure to get a few different sizes so that you’ll be prepared for any design.

Step 4: The sanding

This one’s a challenge if you don’t have space to do it, and living in the dorms can make it difficult. If you decide to go to the Cal Poly craft center to sand your cooler, beware because you might get kicked out for the “toxic plastic dust it puts into the air,” or something along those lines. If you call different hardware stores around the area and ask if you can sand at their place, you may get some very strange reactions as well. In the end, it’s pretty safe to sand outside of the dorms, even though the surrounding dorms may hate you after that… an electric sander is kind of distracting at 11:00 p.m. when you’re trying to study. We recommend going to a friend’s house who has a backyard to spare and neighbors who don’t care about the noise.

Step 5: The Spackling and Priming

This is what makes the cooler smooth and ready to paint. It fills in the indents that are left over (for example, the logo of the company that makes the cooler) and helps if you didn’t get the cooler completely smooth when you sanded it. When the spackle dries, it’s time to prime it. We recommend a spray on primer as the easiest option. White is always a good color to choose so that you have a blank canvas to paint on when it’s covered. Great job! The hardest work is over, and now comes the fun part.

Step 6: The Stenciling/Painting

In order to make the more complicated designs come out exactly how you dream they will, stencils are your other best friend (I hope that the paint pens don’t get jealous…). We suggest you paint the cooler one side at a time, but you can also work on different aspects of it at the same time. For example, fill in the background on one side while your design on the top is drying. Just be conscious of the borders on each side so that they’re even when you go to move on (you don’t want the front to bleed onto the side by accident)!

Step 7: Mod Podge/Sealant

Mod Podge makes it look shiny, and who doesn’t love shiny things? Paint on a couple layers of Mod Podge to prevent the cooler from chipping. After that dries, use a sealant to seal in the awesomeness of your hard work. Make sure to let it dry for a couple of days before moving it. (Insider tip: This stuff stinks in dorm rooms. See if you can store it at a friends’ while it’s drying to save the relationship you have with your roommate).

Step 8: The Reveal

Congratulations! You finished your cooler. It is now your baby, and you must give it away. But alas, it was for a great cause because your hard work and caring quality went into making a work of art that he will appreciate and use to store his things in for a long time!

I am a Journalism student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo minoring in Integrated Marketing Communications, with a passion for writing and media. My blog can be found at https://adulthoodinslo.wordpress.com/ and I can be reached at Mollyobrien1996@att.net.
Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.