Ins & Outs of Menstrual Cups (and Why You’ll Want One ASAP)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Pads vs. tampons. Whichever your preference, the choice has always seemed so black and white. But a newcomer is upsetting the established order; a product to challenge generations of menstrual products before it; the period solution for rebels: the menstrual cup. 

This summer I embarked on a strange new journey in feminine hygiene when I purchased the DivaCup. Fueled by anger over a leaky tampon and general frustration with that-time-of-the-month, I researched better feminine hygiene products and came across the menstrual cup.

Never heard of a menstrual cup? You’re not alone. I had never heard of it either and I was surprised that I could have been post-pubescent for nearly a decade without coming across it. Pads and tampons are the only options; otherwise they would have mentioned it in those horrible puberty videos from elementary and middle school, right?

Menstrual cups are similar to tampons in that they are inserted into the vagina, but unlike tampons, they collect menstrual blood, not absorb it. The soft silicon cup is folded, inserted and can then remain in place for up to 12 hours. Since the product isn’t absorbent, there is no risk of toxic shock syndrome. The great thing about menstrual cups is that they’re reusable. It might sound gross at first, but it is completely hygienic and all waste ends up flushed down the toilet. After every use, the cup is washed with unscented antibacterial soap and then reinserted. The reusability of the menstrual cup means less pad and tampon trash–good for the environmentalist in all of us.

The main drawback of the menstrual cup is the large upfront cost (mine cost me about $30 on Amazon). But seeing as the device can be used for several years without being replaced, investing in a menstrual cup potentially costs less than traditional feminine hygiene products in the long run. I was also a bit uncomfortable getting used to inserting and removing my DivaCup seeing as it’s larger than a standard tampon and doesn’t have an applicator. However, after two cycles with my menstrual cup, I’m feeling much more confident and comfortable using it. And best of all, it has never leaked!

After two months, I’m still very happy with my choice to purchase a DivaCup. With the ability to change my cup only two or three times a day and it’s resistance to leakage, my menstrual cup gives me a kind of freedom I’ve never felt while on my period. So if you are dissatisfied with your current feminine hygiene techniques or just looking to upset the period product binary, consider the menstrual cup!

Want more info? Here’s an article I found helpful before making the switch.

Sam Snow

Cal Poly

Sam Snow is a biomedical engineering 4th-year who enjoys movies, music, dancing, and making people laugh. She's passionate health, especially mental health, and her friends and family. 
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu