In the Mood to Vibe? The Best Songs to Play in the Car so Your Friends Think You’re Cool

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

You’re in the car, driving the speed limit (of course), having the most possible amount of fun, BUT THEN something scary happens— a song that ruins the vibe pops on. It’s ok, don’t be embarrassed, it happens to the best of us (even me, someone who prides herself on being an aux professional). Even though it’s normal to skip songs that don’t fit the vibe, it sometimes can kill the mood. Everyone wants to look cool in front of friends, dates (lovers), and future friends you are trying to impress (BUT REMEMBER THIS: YOU ARE WORTHY OF GREAT FRIENDS AND ARE SUPER COOL REGARDLESS OF MUSIC TASTE) and the feeling that comes with people complimenting your taste is one of the best feelings in life. Allow me to provide you with two premade playlists full of songs for every passenger. 

My first playlist is a daytime vibe reading for a fun day in the SLO sun

Daytime: A playlist for a fun day in the sun

1. Blindsided— The Backfires
    1. This is such a fun, indie, rock n’ roll, and upbeat song. A great way to get pumped up!
  2. You Know Better— Black Pumas
    1. This is a fun and silly song that is perfect for coasting along the seaside with the top down.
  3. Vanilla—Flipturn
    1. Who wants to be in LA and Hollywood? Who wants to get artsy? This is the perfect upbeat, exciting, and funky song for you.
  4. Techno Show— Peach Pit
    1. I love Peach Pit and all of their songs are hits— but Techno Show is the best indie/pop song to jam out to with friends.
  5. Year 22— Jaded Juice Riders
    1. INCREDIBLY CATCHY! You will feel like a rockstar walking down the Santa Cruz Boardwalk (I know, those two shouldn’t go together but they do— you’ll get it once you hear it; trust me)
  6. Space Cadet— The Technicolors
    1. A fun and chill vibe that you can totally hear in Cal Poly’s Craft Center!
  7. LUNA—Feid & ATL Jacob
    1. Let’s get some Spanish music going! Impress your friends with your diverse range of music that feels exactly like dancing in the street with the sun rays shining on you like a spotlight!
  8. Ok Crazy— Tei Shi
    1. Now, we’re adding some more pop influence to this playlist. You won’t be able to resist this underrated masterpiece by Tei Shei.
  9. Never Be Like You (feat. Kai) — Flume
    1. A throwback! I bet you forgot about this dazzling and electric hit.
  10. This Hell– Rina Sawayama
    1. I love Rina— all of her songs are perfection. This one is a stand-up and move and sing-at-the-top-of-your-lungs type of vibe. 
  11. Claws— Kim Petras
    1. Want a song that will make you dance your heart out? Want to fall in love? This song will do just that.
  12. Yuck— Charli XCX
    1. Want pop perfection? Don’t want to fall in love? This song will be so relatable.
  13. Needed Me— Rihanna
    1. Now it’s time to break it down for some Rihanna lovers. Throwback to this classic!
  14. Kevin’s Heart—J.Cole
    1. Lets end on a fun rap song, because who doesn’t love J. Cole?

My second playlist has the best vibes for late-night drives

Nighttime:

1. Los Santos— Current Blue
  2. Such a vibe. The melody and beat hits different at night.
  1. Everything Is Just a Mess— The Brook & The Bluff
    1. Feeling stressed and upset but still want to vibe? You’lll feel so understood after listening to this song.
  2. Sunshine Baby— The Japanese House
    1. WOW! This song is slow and personable— a perfect, rainy day, dark and cloudy drive song.
  3. The Gold Manchester— Orchestra & Phoebe Bridgers
    1. The same things can be said about this song as Sunshine Baby. Feeling blue and need to escape and vibe— then here is the song for you.
  4. Simple Things— Miguel
    1. Trust me…. This is THE song.
  5. Te Amo— Rihanna
    1. Break it down, Rihanna! This is a calm but fun song with perfect night vibes.
  6. Love Drought— Beyoncé
    1. Beyoncé + RnB + chillin’ with the homies in your mom’s car = Love Drought. Probably one of Beyoncé’s most underrated songs.
  7. Drew Barrymore—SZA
    1. I know you know this one— who doesn’t feel heard when listening to SZA?
  8. BoRdErsZ— Zayn
    1. The vibes… Immaculate, lulling, gorgeous, understated. Yes, this is the song.
  9. Japanese Denim— Daniel Caesar
    1. Every sound in this song sounds like angels singing. Goosebumps I tell you, goosebumps!
  10. Ghost in the Machine (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)
    1. Going throw a tough time? Needing to take a drive and get away from everyone? Play Ghost in the Machine. It’s soup for the soul.
  11. Break from Toronto— PARTYNEXTDOOR
    1. A more upbeat nighttime song, but perfect for night vibes.
  12. Want U Around (feat. Ruel) — Omar Apollo
    1. Your ears will be blessed. Every single note, vocal and instrumental, is perfect. Absolutely jaw-dropping!
  13. Vienna Billy Joel
    1. I think this is everyone’s comfort song. Billy Joel just knows what we need.
  14. Watch Your Mouth— The Backseat Lovers
    1. This and Pool House by The Backseat Lovers are my comfort songs. In case of an emergency, play this song. Park your car, close your eyes, and relax.

I hope you enjoy these playlists! I tried to find a mix of popular and underrated songs because playing songs that people don’t know but come to love is AMAZING. Be a trendsetter! You don’t have to give me credit— my music knowledge is now yours. Now, go drive your friends to the beach, Trader Joe’s, school, or anywhere else, and try out these playlists! Happy listening!

Daytime; https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7APNtBYck3CQTqEnBZGmCi?si=9dd4fb4579d24276

Nighttime: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3Hp1Xe6Wl97FS6uSppAkuJ?si=3a7dcfefdf1a4b40

Emma Emigh

Cal Poly '26

Emma is a English and Liberal Studies major at Cal Poly SLO. She loves tennis (both playing and watching), reading any books she can find, and hanging out with her cat, Pepper. She hopes to teach high school English one day, and you can find her either volunteering in a classroom or hiking.