This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

This book is my Bible.

Why Men Love Bitches (WMLB) has completely reshaped how I approach relationships. In this fun & engaging read by New York Times bestselling author, Sherry Argov, women learn about the importance of standing your ground, knowing who you are, and holding your own in a relationship. Argov shares advice & stories that highlight the value of being a “bitch” in a relationship.

Before diving into why you need to get this book, there are some quick basics that need to be explained in order to get a better grasp on WMLB.

This book separates women into one of two categories: a nice girl vs a bitch. 

A “bitch” in this book is not the stereotypical bitch most people automatically think of. In this book, being a bitch means you are sassy and confident. You are kind, yet strong and never chase a man. If he doesn’t want you — that’s fine, you don’t want him.  

The nice girl is someone who gives too much and doesn’t receive anything back. She often overcompensates and will do anything to keep her man because she thinks she is nothing without him. 

It is important to understand these two terms when reading this book. Argov is never attacking women who chose to be “a nice girl” in their relationships. Rather, she just wants women to feel empowered, confident, and strong in their relationships. It’s better to be alone than to be with someone just to have someone. 

One great aspect of this book is Argov’s use of “attraction principles,” which are important tips followed by reasoning and scenarios. These attraction principles include advice like: 

• “Anything a person chases in life runs away”

• “He must feel that you choose to be with him, not that you need to be with him. Only then will he perceive you as an equal partner”

• “It is your attitude about yourself that a man will adopt”. 

At the end of the book, Argov lists every attraction principle listed in order which makes the advice come full circle. 

Another unique idea that is clearly demonstrated throughout the book is Argov’s goal to make the read interactive. Whether it’s a “Are you too Nice?” pop quiz, charts that explain the difference between how the nice girl versus the bitch would handle real-life situations, or “The Top 15 Signs that a Woman is Needy” — this book is hard to put down when page after page is full of relevant & relatable info.

In addition, Argov incorporates advice from hundreds of men that she interviewed while writing this book. This gives WMLB even more reliability since the knowledge and information is not just coming from her. 

My own personal favorite part of this book is that it comes from the standpoint of being a confident, independent woman. Argov proves throughout the book how men are attracted to women who have a life of their own. Don’t jump through hoops for a man who doesn’t care.  In a relationship, you should never lose sight of yourself and your own values. Hold yourself to a high standard and that will invite people into your life who give you that same respect. Putting yourself first gives you all the control in a relationship.

I 100% recommend this book to women looking to gain control back in their love life. It is a fast-paced, relatable, and interesting read! 

Just remember, a bitch carries herself with strength and has unwavering faith in herself. After all, the most attractive quality in a woman is dignity. 

Megan O'Grady

Cal Poly '21

Megan O’Grady is a fourth year Child Development major with a Psychology minor. She’s a sucker for astrology, sex + relationships, and deep talks. When Megan is not writing for Her Campus, she’s most likely dancing, watching music videos, or thinking about Harry Styles.