stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Tackle New Year Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Welcome to 2020: the beginning of both a new year and a new decade. At the start of every new year, many of us face the pressure to create a list of self-attainable goals, commonly referred to as resolutions, to pursue throughout the next 365 days. Many of us strive to obtain healthier habits in the new year: to become more at peace with ourselves; to save money; to get organized; to try something new … the list is endless. Unfortunately for many, the enthusiasm driving many new year’s resolutions tapers off alongside the new year spirit. However, if we want this year to be different, we have to make some changes– for real this time. From personal experiences, we created a roadmap for you to obtain your goals during and throughout the arrival of such a noteworthy year! 

Here are a few steps you can implement this year to start — and keep up with — your aspirations!

Write it down. 

Becoming organized is the first step to starting a journey to pursue your resolutions. Flesh out your ideas. Do not simply state what your aspirations are; write down why this particular resolution is important to you. What will achieving this aspiration bring into your life? Post this list somewhere you will see it — a mirror, the refrigerator, inside your vehicle. You may use a planner, a designated notebook, or just a piece of paper. Perhaps, write them in the order of importance; which goal means the most to you, and again, why? 

Break it down.

Not only is it important to commit your intentions for this year to paper, but also to break them down. Sometimes, we create an insurmountable goal by taking on more than we can handle — presuming we can tackle it all. However, slow and steady is the best way to win this race. Break down your large aspirations into smaller units; take your list and brainstorm small ways to implement your goals into every day. For example: if your goal is to exercise more, write down the days and times you hope to do so. Give yourself some wiggle room here — whether you go once, twice, or five times a week. Little decisions everyday will add up to create new habits. Start small.

Get Educated.  

Before you embark full speed ahead on tackling your wishes for 2020, take a moment to reflect. What held you back from achieving these goals in the past? Is there anything you can do to minimize or tackle those things? Furthermore, do your research. If you have spare time, read up about the goal you want to implement. Find an app that may help you track your spending; learn about the benefits of exercise; find healthy recipes you would like to enjoy! By implementing this process discovering information, the goals you have become even more personal to you, and thus, increasingly important. 

Reward Yourself. 

This process to achieve your goals does not have to be all work and no play. Throughout the process of adapting to new habits, give yourself some grace. We’re human, so naturally some days, weeks, or even months do not always go as planned. It is important to recognize the positive steps you are taking rather than dwelling on the difficulties. Whether you choose to reward yourself with a daily dose of chocolate, or 5 minutes of alone time — find the release that will help encourage you along! 

We hope this list shines light on possible steps you can take to truly change your 2020! Remember to write your goals down — taking it smaller, slower, and steadier. Little decisions you make add up over time into new habits and routines. Remember why these ambitions are important to you! Tackle this year with grit, excitement, and a gameplan. 

Taylor Eldridge

Cal Poly '21

Taylor is currently a second year (junior) student at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo majoring in English with a minor in Psychology. Besides HerCampus, many of her interests are diversified; she is either exercising, listening to music (probably both, simultaneously), or spending time with my family and friends. Taylor is also a part of the Fitness & Nutrition Team through Campus Health & Wellbeing.