How to Survive Parties as a Super Awkward Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

Let me preface this by saying that I am a shy person with social anxiety. Most days, I am perfectly content with watching re-runs of “The Office” in my room rather than properly socializing. I tend to feel awkward when interacting with people I don’t know and have been told on numerous occasions I “dance like a dorky dad.” That being said, I do, like every other college student, attend parties. Now you may be asking yourself, how does a person this socially awkward even get invited to parties? Well, first off, how dare you and secondly, I don’t know. Regardless, if you also suffer from anxiety and are on the shy side, here are some tips on surviving parties.

1) Bring a friend: If you are going to attend a large party, feel free to take a preferably less socially awkward friend along with you. You are guaranteed to have more fun and will feel less inhibited in your actions. Even if your friend is just as shy as you are, at least you can be wallflowers together.

2) Give yourself a job: Have you been reading up on bar-tending? Offer the people around you mixed drinks. Do you have an awesome playlist? Ask the host beforehand if it would cool for you to DJ the party.

3) Don’t be afraid to dance: On the dance floor I look as if Elaine from “Seinfeld” and Carlton from “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” had a crazed love child. But my atrocious dance moves do not stop me from having a good time (even though it probably should.) In short, get out there and don’t feel self-conscious about your dancing abilities, or lack thereof. Honestly, it’s better than just sitting on the couch and watching fellow partygoers sloppily make out.

4) Hang out with the host’s pet(s): If the host’s pet happens to be at the party and you do not feel comfortable socializing with actual humans, spend your time making the animal become your friend. After all, a dog is not going to pressure you to shotgun a Bud Light (although a cat might; cats are kind of jerks.)

5) Don’t be afraid to leave: If you feel uncomfortable for whatever reason, it’s okay to remove yourself from the situation. Recently, I went to a party, stayed for little over an hour and decided it was time for me to leave. My friend who I brought as a date (see tip number 1), then took me to Taco Bell where we had wonderful time eating Crunchy Taco Supremes at midnight.

6) Have fun: Relax. You can do this. You are awesome.

I am a 3rd year English here at Cal Poly. I have a passions for all things pop culture, dogs and feminism.
Aja Frost

Cal Poly

Aja Frost is a college junior living in San Luis Obispo, California. She is equally addicted to good books and froyo, and considers the combo of the two the best since pb & b (peanut butter and banana.) Aja has been published on the Huffington Post, USA Today College, Newsweek, The Daily Muse, xoJane, and Bustle, among other publications. Follow her on Twitter: @ajavuu