How to Survive a California Beach: A Her Campus Survival Kit Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cal Poly chapter.

The Her Campus Cal Poly ladies took over Avila Beach recently in a flurry of sunscreen spray, beach towels, and flowy pants. From afar, you could see these incandescent land mermaids lounging around on the sun warmed sand and intermittently dipping their toes into the central coast water. With the goodies from our Survival Kit in tow, these beach babes were set for a day of tanning, relaxing, and chatting. They knew exactly how to take a beach by storm, even when it’s 100% sunshine.

To start them off, Her Campus Nationals knew they’d need a new towel; what better way to lay in the sun than on a pink paisley Vera Bradley towel. With a matching wallet, HC Cal Poly was going to take this seaside with style. And who needs to worry about losing their keys when Vera has your back and sends a key chain lanyard your way? It’s perfect. Vera’s perfect. We’re all perfect. Perfectly puffed, charismatic sea anemones.

For those who indulged and had a few extra minutes in their morning routine, these tantalizing lady turtles used Pure Silk shaving cream for luscious, moisturized, smooth legs. In seeing those debonair walkers, even the Avila waves couldn’t help tiding a little closer to catch a glance. If ever they wanted such sheen legs again, HC Cal Poly can thank Nationals for Pure Silk samples.

The HC ladies can sure chat! About politics, the state of our current economy, global communication at large, technological advancements, and so much more. Phew! That must have made these “cunning, pliable, chestnut-haired sunfish” (thank you, Leslie Knope) parched! Thank goodness Nationals sent our superb sunfish Camelbak hot or cold travel mugs that can keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold all day! Travel mugs, Brappz shoelaces, AVO cranberry gummies, and so much more, the HC ladies of Cal Poly were more than prepared.

As the ultimate cherry on top, Nationals truly looked out for our sophisticated, jocular stingrays by sending our way Monthly Gifts. The best, ground breaking tampon samples they’ve ever seen. Complete with pads, pantiliners, tampons of all sizes, and wait for it… emergency chocolate. That’s right. These smooth talking, powerful jellyfish of ours could take the beach by storm any week of the month no problem. That’s what we like to see at HC.

We couldn’t thank Nationals enough for sending us the perfect summer, beach day survival kit! It’s hard to pull yourself away from studying at the library to nap and spend quality time with your girlfriends on the beautiful, central coast beaches but somehow, we did. And thanks to Her Campus National’s survival kit, we did it in style. Stay tuned for our next survival kit adventure. We don’t know what we’ll have to survive, but we know we will!

Dakota Greenwich is a Cal Poly 3rd year English Major, studying for her undergraduate and minors in linguistics and graphic communications. This is her 2nd year writing for Her Campus and in her spare time, she works at the Kennedy Library, studies, and blogs. She loves to discuss and research current social issues including women's rights and political issues. If you don't see her working at my campus library or studying, you can find her at her favorite coffee shop, Scout Coffee, reading a thriller novel.